Assistant Controller – Remote
We're looking for an Assistant Controller who’s excited to lead and grow the Accounting team at Zapier. Zapier’s on a mission to make everyone more productive at work. Zapier has helped millions of people build businesses through the power of automation. If you love digging into numbers, automating processes, and inspiring a team to constantly improve and grow, read on.
- You're a seasoned professional. You have 6+ years of Accounting experience, some of which has been in fast-paced, growing companies with international subsidiaries. You are comfortable talking auditors through things and supporting their needs during an audit. You might have even dabbled in accounting for mergers and acquisitions.
- You are an effective team builder. You have 3+ years in a Hands-on manager role. You have a passion for managing people, developing talent, and building a resilient team culture.
- You’re resourceful. You love a challenge, and you enjoy getting creative to solve problems. You are highly adaptable and energized by new challenges.
- You obsess over the details. You’re analytical, methodical, and work with a high degree of accuracy. You are detail-oriented and care about the nitty gritty, but you can step back and review the big picture. You know which pennies are worth chasing and which ones aren’t.
- You wear many hats. You're eager to take on any project that comes your way no matter how big or how small and you never shy away from rolling up your sleeves and helping the team.
- You love to write. Whether it's a quick conversation in Slack or a new policy we're implementing, writing is your main form of communication.
- You’ve got the credentials. Ideally you are a CPA or CMA.
Things You Might Do
Zapier is a fast-growing and remote-first company, so you'll likely get experience on many different projects across the organization. That said, here are some things you'll probably do:
- Develop and grow our Accounting Team.
- Be a mentor, coach, and advocate for your growing team when it's needed.
- Assist in and advise on day-to-day accounting operations.
- Work with the team to have consolidated financials in 5 business days and identify processes to improve efficiency.
- Research accounting issues for compliance with generally accepted accounting principles.
- Assist in preparation and review of audit schedules and support of auditors.
- Ensure quarterly and annual reporting requirements are fulfilled.
- Establish and maintain internal controls, policies and procedures as needed.
- Find ways to improve our processes through automation and innovative new practices.
- Dig into our financials to analyze data and find places for us to improve.
- Provide support to our Controller and CFO on various projects.
- Collaborate and share accounting data with other teams.
- Assist with and review monthly accounting and bookkeeping (expense categorization and classification, account reconciliations, journal entries, consolidated results).
- Assist with additional accounting duties where needed.
- Travel of 5% – 10% for Zapier retreats that rotate to various cities throughout North America.
As part of our All Hands Support initiative, help customers have the best experience with Zapier as possible.
The Whole Package
Our flexible, distributed environment lets us work with the best people from around the world. Zapiens live in 40+ countries, including the United Kingdom, Thailand, India, Nigeria, Taiwan, Guatemala, New Zealand, Australia, and more!
Healthcare + dental + vision coverage*
Retirement plan with 4% company match*
Profit-sharing program for 100% of Zapiens
$2,000 annual learning stipend for use on courses, conferences, and more—your choice
Two annual all-company retreats
14 weeks paid leave for new parents of biological or adopted children
Customized Zapiversary rewards on your 1, 3, 5, 7 and 10 year work anniversaries
Leading-edge equipment. We set you up with an Apple laptop and provide an additional budget for you to choose other home office accessories and software you may need.
Time to renew. We encourage Zapiens to take at least 2 weeks off each year. Most of us take 4-5 weeks, in addition to locally recognized holidays.
Opportunity to work with Zapier’s amazing partners network
*While we take care of Zapiens around the world the best we can, healthcare and retirement plans are currently available specifically in the UK, Canada, and United States.
How to Apply
We have a non-standard application process designed to promote inclusion and equity. We first ask a few questions in our application form that would typically be asked at the start of an initial interview. This helps speed up the process and lets us get to know you a bit better right out of the gate. Please be sure to answer each question; the resume and CV fields are optional.
After you apply, you are going to hear back from us—even if we don’t see an immediate fit with our team. In fact, throughout the process, we strive to make sure you never go more than seven days without hearing from us.
Zapier is an equal opportunity employer. We're excited to work with talented and empathetic people, and do not discriminate based on race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, physical or mental disability, military or veteran status, genetic information, pregnancy, age, or any other status protected by local law. Our code of conduct provides a beacon for the kind of company we strive to be, and we celebrate our differences because those differences are what allow us to make a product that serves a global user base.
Zapier is is committed to inclusion. As part of this commitment, Zapier will ensure that people with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations. If reasonable accommodations are needed to participate in the job application or interview process, please contact email@example.com.