See yourself at Twilio
Join the team as our next Software Engineer L4!
Who we are & why we’re hiring
Twilio powers real-time business communications and data solutions that help companies and developers worldwide build better applications and customer experiences.
Although we're headquartered in San Francisco, we have presence throughout South America, Europe, Asia and Australia. We're on a journey to becoming a globally anti-racist, anti-oppressive, anti-bias company that actively opposes racism and all forms of oppression and bias. At Twilio, we support diversity, equity & inclusion wherever we do business. We employ thousands of Twilions worldwide, and we're looking for more builders, creators, and visionaries to help fuel our growth momentum.
About the job
Twilio is growing rapidly. To keep pace with evolving communication channels, we are looking for a Staff Software Engineer to join our Advanced Communications team who is passionate about designing, developing, deploying and operating software solutions at scale, and wants to help Twilio deliver the best user experience for next-generation communications.
In this role, you’ll:
- Design and develop highly scalable distributed systems for the Advanced Communications initiatives.
- Maintain a high bar of operational excellence and quality for our systems and services
- Mentor engineers on the team, lead the execution of complex initiatives in timely manner
- Drive adoption of the software development best practices across teams.
- Collaborate with other engineering, product, program and vendor teams to drive the right outcome.
Not all applicants will have skills that match a job description exactly. Twilio values diverse experiences in other industries, and we encourage everyone who meets the required qualifications to apply. While having “desired” qualifications make for a strong candidate, we encourage applicants with alternative experiences to also apply. If your career is just starting or hasn't followed a traditional path, don't let that stop you from considering Twilio. We are always looking for people who will bring something new to the table!
- Minimum of 5 years experience as a Software Engineer, building highly scalable distributed systems.
- 5+ years of experience programming in one or more of the following: Go, Python, Spark/Scala, Java
- Track record of building, shipping and maintaining highly scalable systems in a highly ambiguous and fast paced environment.
- Experience as a technical lead; influencing, mentoring and leading team of engineers executing medium to large scale projects
- Experience working cloud technologies(AWS or equivalent) like Kinesis, SQS, S3, Athena, Glue, Step Functions, DynamoDB, RDS, Cloudformation, CloudWatchHighly effective collaborator who works well with teammates and product partners to deliver completed work on time
- Comfortable asking questions and taking initiative to solve problems in a rapidly growing company, where it is often necessary to “draw the owl”
- Collaborate effectively with architects, leads, engineering and product managers to drive the right outcome and deliver results.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Pioneered and established engineering best practices.
- Proven track record in building monitoring and observability on highly used production services.
- Degree in Computer Science or a related field, or equivalent work experience.
As a Staff Software Engineer, you will live the Twilio Magic values:
- WRITE IT DOWN: Document technology decisions and implementations, and support epic and story refinement.
- DRAW THE OWL: Identify opportunities for improvement across both technology and process. Use your foresight and experience to keep our systems effectively running now and in the future through profiling, load testing, failure testing, monitoring and much more to have confidence in the robustness of the systems we deploy.
- BE INCLUSIVE: Collaborate to support strong team results and build effective working relationships.
- RUTHLESSLY PRIORITIZE: Exhibit good priority and time management skills to support sprint commitments.
- BE AN OWNER & BE BOLD: Lead or assist in all aspects of technology decisions, including strategy, efficiencies, open source offerings, and integration details. Champion meticulous, high quality engineering and be a role model for software development habits and practices for distributed systems.
- EMPOWER OTHERS: Interact extensively across all functional teams within Twilio and encourage collaborative solutions.
- NO SHENANIGANS: Ensure the consistent exercise of appropriate judgment and transparency in all your communications and interactions. Use your advanced engineering, communication and organizational skills to ensure we deliver what the business wants and needs.
This role will be remote.
What We Offer
There are many benefits to working at Twilio, including, in addition to competitive pay, things like generous time-off, ample parental and wellness leave, healthcare, a retirement savings program, and much more. Offerings vary by location.
Twilio thinks big. Do you?
We like to solve problems, take initiative, pitch in when needed, and are always up for trying new things. That's why we seek out colleagues who embody our values — something we call Twilio Magic. Additionally, we empower employees to build positive change in their communities by supporting their volunteering and donation efforts.
So, if you're ready to unleash your full potential, do your best work, and be the best version of yourself, apply now!
If this role isn't what you're looking for, please consider other open positions.
*Please note this role is open to candidates outside of Colorado as well. The information below is provided for those hired in Colorado only.
*If you are a Colorado applicant:
- The estimated pay range for this role, based in Colorado, is $160.080 – $200.100.
- Sales Commission: Additionally, this role is eligible to earn commissions and eligible to participate in Twilio's equity plan.
- Non-Sales: Additionally, this role is eligible to participate in Twilio's equity plan.
The successful candidate’s starting salary will be determined based on permissible, non-discriminatory factors such as skills, experience, and geographic location within the state. This role is also eligible to participate in Twilio’s equity plan and for the following benefits: health care insurance, 401(k) retirement account, paid sick time, paid personal time off, paid parental leave.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Twilio is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, reproductive health decisions, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, political views or activity, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Additionally, Twilio participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Twilio is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.