See yourself at Twilio
Join the team as our next Software Architect within our Billing Platform team
Who we are & why we’re hiring
Twilio powers real-time business communications and data solutions that help companies and developers worldwide build better applications and customer experiences.
Although we're headquartered in San Francisco, we have presence throughout South America, Europe, Asia and Australia. We're on a journey to becoming a globally anti-racist, anti-oppressive, anti-bias company that actively opposes racism and all forms of oppression and bias. At Twilio, we support diversity, equity & inclusion wherever we do business. We employ thousands of Twilions worldwide, and we're looking for more builders, creators, and visionaries to help fuel our growth momentum.
About the job
Twilio is growing rapidly and seeking a Software Architect to be a key leader in driving technology alignment and excellence within the Billing Platform. This role will work across the entire engineering function and partner with other functions including product, sales, legal and security to drive solutions to Billing Platform’s most challenging problems. This role requires excellent technical skills paired with business insight and an ability to influence stakeholders across the business units. This role will also contribute to the broader Twilio by helping to define and implement a long term company-wide technology roadmap focused on architecture, platform, and design and execution of next generation Billing Platform.
The Billing Platform is central to Twilio's continued growth. The success of Twilio is dependent on the success of the Billing Platform and its ability to provide scalable, reliable, intuitive experiences for our internal stakeholders and external customers.
In this role, you’ll
- WRITE IT DOWN: Document technology decisions and implementations, and support epic and story refinement.
- DRAW THE OWL: Identify opportunities for improvement across both technology and process. Use your foresight and experience to keep our systems effectively running now and in the future through profiling, load testing, failure testing, monitoring and much more to have confidence in the robustness of the systems we deploy.
- BE INCLUSIVE: Collaborate to support strong team results and build effective working relationships.
- RUTHLESSLY PRIORITIZE: Exhibit good priority and time management skills to support sprint commitments.
- BE AN OWNER & BE BOLD: Lead or assist in all aspects of technology decisions, including strategy, efficiencies, open source offerings, and integration details. Champion meticulous, high quality engineering and be a role model for software development habits and practices for distributed systems.
- EMPOWER OTHERS: Interact extensively across all functional teams within Twilio and encourage collaborative solutions.
- NO SHENANIGANS: Ensure the consistent exercise of appropriate judgment and transparency in all your communications and interactions. Use your advanced engineering, communication and organizational skills to ensure we deliver what the business wants and needs.
Not all applicants will have skills that match a job description exactly. Twilio values diverse experiences in other industries, and we encourage everyone who meets the required qualifications to apply. While having “desired” qualifications make for a strong candidate, we encourage applicants with alternative experiences to also apply. If your career is just starting or hasn't followed a traditional path, don't let that stop you from considering Twilio. We are always looking for people who will bring something new to the table!
- Have a track record of designing and building large-scale, cloud-based, highly available software platforms in a high growth environment.
- You have experience with multi-region architectures and understand topics like data replication and consistency, failover patterns, isolated failure domains, etc.
- You are passionate about engineering hygiene and operational excellence and have a track record of delivering to this standard.
- You love to make an impact and thrive in collaborative, and energetic teams.
- You can own multiple disparate sets of areas and you are able to distill complex and ambiguous situations into actionable plans for your team.
- Highly analytical with the ability to translate between strategic business decisions and their quantitative implications
- Thinks critically and objectively; has excellent problem solving skills and the ability to make quick decisions based on business demands
- Detail-oriented with great organizational skills, comfortable with ambiguity
- Are passionate about enabling other developers through your leadership and driving teams to efficient decisions
- Have the ability to balance long-term objectives with urgent short-term needs
- Have demonstrated the ability to design complex systems in an iterative and evolutionary manner.
- BS/MS/PhD degree in computer science
This position will be remote. We employ diverse talent from all over the world and we believe great work can be done anywhere. Around the world, Twilio offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your loved ones. No matter where you are based, you will experience a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture that empowers everyone to do their best work and be the best version of themselves.
This role will be based in our Dublin office or remote and based in Europe (Germany, UK, Ireland, Spain, Netherlands, Estonia)
What We Offer
There are many benefits to working at Twilio, including, in addition to competitive pay, things like generous time-off, ample parental and wellness leave, healthcare, a retirement savings program, and much more. Offerings vary by location.
Twilio thinks big. Do you?
We like to solve problems, take initiative, pitch in when needed, and are always up for trying new things. That's why we seek out colleagues who embody our values — something we call Twilio Magic.
Additionally, we empower employees to build positive change in their communities by supporting their volunteering and donation efforts.
So, if you're ready to unleash your full potential, do your best work, and be the best version of yourself, apply now!
If this role isn't what you're looking for, please consider other open positions.