See yourself at Twilio
Join the team as our next Employee Relations Business Partner.
Who we are & why we’re hiring
Twilio powers real-time business communications and data solutions that help companies and developers worldwide build better applications and customer experiences.
Although we're headquartered in San Francisco, we're on a journey to becoming a globally antiracist company that supports diversity, equity & inclusion wherever we do business. We employ thousands of Twilions worldwide, and we're looking for more builders, creators, and visionaries to help fuel our growth momentum.
About the job
This position is needed to join a collaborative Employee Relations team as an experienced Employee Relations Business Partner, reporting to the Director, Head of Global Employee Relations and People Compliance. Employee Relations is responsible for leading and driving performance management and investigations across the company, while mitigating risk and serving as trusted advisors. Working with HR Business Partners, legal counsel, leadership, and other stakeholders, Employee Relations helps to create an inclusive, safe, and productive workspace for all Twilions.
In this role, you’ll:
- Partner, advise and influence the management team, through VP-level, on a range of employee relations issues, including performance management, investigations, terminations, harassment, discrimination, employee/customer complaints, labor relations, and other policy-related issues, people management, and leadership concerns. Conduct prompt and thorough investigations into sensitive employee relations issues, and make objective recommendations based on findings. This includes: conducting investigatory interviews, collecting/reviewing relevant evidence, writing investigation reports, and delivering debriefs with relevant stakeholders. Advise on and manage performance management concerns, such as restructurings, reductions in force, and related matters.
- Use data to identify employee relations trends and to diagnose organizational effectiveness strategies and proactively develop training and process improvements.
- Adhere to globally consistent standards and protocols for investigations, performance management, and reorganizations to enable fair, equitable systems, policies, and practices. Create reports of investigative findings and document guidance and best practices.
- Make impartial recommendations to resolve employee concerns that promote a fair and inclusive workplace. Identify appropriate/effective resolutions to mitigate risk to the company and minimize legal exposure. Follow and improve standardized procedures for investigations and efficient resolution of all Employee Relations matters.
- Manage multiple cases simultaneously, while prioritizing the most urgent needs on a variety of matters. Make recommendations to resolve issues in accordance with applicable laws and Company policies, practices, and procedures.
Not all applicants will have skills that match a job description exactly. Twilio values diverse experiences in other industries, and we encourage everyone who meets the required qualifications to apply. While having “desired” qualifications make for a strong candidate, we encourage applicants with alternative experiences to also apply. If your career is just starting or hasn't followed a traditional path, don't let that stop you from considering Twilio. We are always looking for people who will bring something new to the table!
- 5+ years of employee relations, employment legal, or investigations experience, including performance management experience.
- Experience independently conducting complex investigations, including those related to misconduct, violations of law, and company policy.
- Experience handling performance management concerns and reorganizations, and advising management and stakeholders on best practices regarding these matters.
- Ability to demonstrate consultation and influencing skills at all levels and experience with high-level collaboration and teamwork.
- Experience creating and delivering impactful solutions and training focused on how to handle employee relations issues, investigations, reorgs, and performance management.
- Previous experience working with legal counsel to develop and comply with HR policies and procedures and federal and state employment laws and regulations.
- Equipped with great judgment, tact, discretion, and professionalism, especially when it comes to confidential documents and communications
- Ability to be impartial, exhibit extreme fairness, and assess each situation through this lens; high bar for integrity.
- Experience building and developing regional employee relations and compliance processes, policies, and plans.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of EMEA employment laws in at least 2 EMEA countries, with knowledge of additional countries including the U.S. considered a bonus. Must have the curiosity and ability to learn about laws in different countries
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to influence and build effective working relationships with all levels of the organization.
- Juris Doctor/LLM and legal experience preferred.
- Regional Experience in EMEA countries.
This role will be remote and based in Remote-Ireland.
Approximately 15% travel is anticipated.
What We Offer
There are many benefits to working at Twilio, including, in addition to competitive pay, things like generous time-off, ample parental and wellness leave, healthcare, a retirement savings program, and much more. Offerings vary by location.
Twilio thinks big. Do you?
We like to solve problems, take initiative, pitch in when needed, and are always up for trying new things. That's why we seek out colleagues who embody our values — something we call Twilio Magic. Additionally, we empower employees to build positive change in their communities by supporting their volunteering and donation efforts.
So, if you're ready to unleash your full potential, do your best work, and be the best version of yourself, apply now!
If this role isn't what you're looking for, please consider other open positions.