Because you belong at Twilio
The Who, What, Where and Why
Twilio is seeking an experienced leader to drive environmental sustainability within the company and across sectors as well. Twilio is an engagement platform that empowers developers and organizations to build the world’s most innovative solutions, including those that tackle the biggest social and environmental problems. In this role, you will define and lead the strategy to reduce climate change and environmental impacts by using our products, people, and funding. This will include reducing our own impacts as well as helping other companies and organizations reduce their impacts. This role is highly entrepreneurial, crafting new models for how technology companies can point their most unique assets toward environmental sustainability.
As the Director of Environmental Sustainability and ESG, you have experience in:
- Environmental sustainability and climate change. Deep knowledge of environmental and ESG practices and trends. Experience with relevant standards and frameworks (eg: CDP, SASB, GRI, SDGs). Leadership of company-wide measurement, monitoring, reporting, and reduction of environmental impacts. Understands how to use technology to decrease climate change across entire industries.
- Stakeholder and leadership engagement. Influencing teams beyond those that directly report to you. You are outstanding at aligning strategic priorities across teams and other leaders to achieve your and others’ goals.
- Technically savvy. Understands software and recognizes areas of product integration, discuss product roadmaps, and engage with product managers. Understanding of the software developer approach is a plus.
- Strategy development. Development, alignment, and execution of climate change strategies that involve and impact more than one company. Experience narrowing a greenfield of opportunities into a clear vision and simple strategy. Get resources to deliver on the strategy. Measure and adapts execution based on performance and insights.
- Business development or community organizing: Driving growth by understanding the market, ecosystem, and using a company’s unique assets to achieve the goals of a diverse set of individuals, influencers, and businesses.
- 10+ years of experience in environmental sustainability, CSR, program management, or product management.
You’ll set and execute the company’s environmental sustainability strategy. Specifically tied to the Twilio Magic, this will include:
- BE BOLD: Define and implement how Twilio will use our products, people, and funding to reduce climate change by companies and organizations globally
- WEAR THE CUSTOMER'S SHOES: Identify the product-market fit for how Twilio’s products and developer community can help environmental sustainability, and roll out scalable models to develop and capture that impact.
- BE AN OWNER: Lead company-wide efforts to define targets and reduce our environmental impacts, working in collaboration with other teams such as the real estate and workplace team. Continuously monitor ESG developments, industry standards, and regulations that may affect the company, adapting the program as appropriate.
- WRITE IT DOWN: Lead the “E” in our ESG program and work closely with the Social Impact, Legal, and Investor Relations teams. Includes measurement, monitoring, and reporting environmental performance to the Board, employees, investors, and others.
- BE INCLUSIVE: Determine the industry-wide coalitions we join or launch to reduce climate change, and be the spokesperson for our environmental sustainability work.
- EMPOWER OTHERS: Work with the Twilio.org Employee Impact team to engage employees in environmental sustainability programs. Collaborate with the Twilio.org Impact Fund team to define how grants and impact investments will reduce climate change.
This role will be part of the social impact arm of Twilio, Twilio.org, led by the Chief Social Impact Officer who reports directly to the company’s CEO. The Twilio.org team works across Twilio’s technology, funding, and employees to improve the lives of over 300 million people globally per year! And we’re not stopping there – our goal is for social impact organizations using Twilio to help 1 billion people annually!
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed, and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation, and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
This position is available in a U.S.-based Twilio hub office (examples: San Francisco, Denver, New York) or remote in the U.S. within 3-hours of Pacific Time. We will work from home during the current pandemic measures. Around the world, Twilio offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your loved ones. No matter where you are based, you will experience a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture that empowers everyone to do their best work and be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.
Non Sales: Additionally, this role is eligible to participate in Twilio's equity plan.
An overview of Twilio’s benefits offered is listed below:
Twilio is committed to delivering a comprehensive benefits program that provides support needed for you and your loved ones. It’s likely that you don’t think about benefits every day; however, they are an important component of your total compensation, and we want you to understand the options available to you so that you can make the most of your benefit dollars. At the time of this posting, this role is eligible to participate in the following benefits, which Twilio reserves the right to modify at any time for any reason in accordance with applicable law:
Healthcare Insurance and Leave
- Prescription Drug
- Flexible Spending and Health Savings Accounts
- Leave programs for all of life’s moments: maternity, parental/bonding, as well medical leave to care for yourself or a loved one
- Short and Long Term Disability Insurance
- Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance
- 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan with a match
Reimbursement Programs & Stipends
- $65 per month work-from-home stipend
- Up to $50 per month for wellness expenses and activities
- Up to $30 per month to use towards books/eBooks