Now, more than ever, the Toast team is committed to our customers. We’re taking steps to help restaurants navigate these unprecedented times with technology, resources, and community. Our focus is on building the restaurant platform that helps restaurants adapt, take control, and get back to what they do best: building the businesses they love. And because our technology is purpose-built for restaurants, by restaurant people, restaurants can trust that we’ll deliver on their needs for today while investing in experiences that will power their restaurant of the future.
Toast, Inc. seeks an ambitious and enthusiastic Product Counsel to join Toast’s growing Legal team. Together with our team of attorneys, you will help us advise Toast and its subsidiaries on a variety of interesting and complex legal matters, provide daily support to cross-functional stakeholders across multiple business units to inform the design and development of new products and services, and promote the company’s growth through drafting and negotiating contracts with vendors and customers.
About this roll* (Responsibilities)
- Work closely and collaboratively with product teams and cross-functional stakeholders to understand, research, analyze, and advise on new products, services, technologies, and processes impacting Toast’s business and customers.
- Serve as a liaison between business stakeholders and relevant legal subject matter experts.
- Review multi-channel marketing materials for compliance with federal and state laws and best practices.
- Draft, review, negotiate, and maintain documents for products and services (e.g. terms of service, regulatory disclosures, etc.), and commercial agreements (e.g. SaaS subscription agreements, partnership and vendor agreements, and other commercial or technology licensing agreements).
- Support the development and maintenance of legal resources and materials to aid business stakeholders in the development of innovative, compliant products and services.
- Monitor evolving laws that may impact Toast’s products and services, and assist with operationalizing and implementing compliant solutions where applicable.
- Work in partnership with other members of the Toast Legal and Compliance teams to leverage internal subject matter expertise and integrate into applicable products, services and commercial matters.
Do you have the right ingredients*? (Requirements)
- A J.D. from an ABA-accredited U.S. law school, and membership in good standing to at least one state bar.
- 3-6 years of experience advising clients on product development and commercial matters, either in-house or at a law firm.
- Knowledge of and experience with laws and regulations applicable to technology companies, including but not limited to payments and financial regulation, consumer protection, US and international data privacy, marketing, intellectual property, labor and employment, and federal, state and local taxation.
- Excellent communication skills (both written and verbal) and drafting skills (contracts, memoranda, etc.) with an emphasis on attention to relevant detail.
- Ability to analyze risks, evaluate legal issues, and provide concise written advice to a non-legal audience.
- Ability to work with independence, manage competing priorities effectively, and meet deadlines.
- Passion for collaborating with a wide range of people in a diverse and inclusive environment. Team-focused, positive attitude, and a good sense of humor encouraged.
- *Bread puns encouraged but not required
We are Toasters
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion is Baked into our Recipe for Success.
At Toast our employees are our secret ingredient. When they are powered to succeed, Toast succeeds.
The restaurant industry is one of the most diverse industries. We embrace and are excited by this diversity, believing that only through authenticity, inclusivity, high standards of respect and trust, and leading with humility will we be able to achieve our goals.
Baking inclusive principles into our company and diversity into our design provides equitable opportunities for all and enhances our ability to be first in class in all aspects of our industry.
Bready* to make a change? Apply today!
As part of our commitment to the health and safety of our employees and their families, all individuals entering our US workspaces are required to provide proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 unless they have an approved medical or religious accommodation.