Stripe’s mission is to increase the GDP of the internet. We build the most powerful and flexible tools for running an internet business. We handle billions of dollars each year and enable millions of users around the world to scale faster and more efficiently by building their businesses on Stripe.
As Stripe is in the business of moving money throughout an expanding footprint around the world, tax authorities may often require companies like Stripe to obtain and report information about our users. Elegantly satisfying information reporting and withholding requirements is central to Stripe’s mission as it continues to roll out product lines such as Stripe Capital and Stripe Issuing.
At Stripe, we are committed to building simple, user-friendly products and for this reason we are seeking a world-class tax information reporting and withholding specialist to join the Tax Team to ensure that any information reporting and withholding obligations that are required of Stripe are thoughtfully integrated into our products!
- Establish the tax direction, goals and priorities for tax information reporting requirements with a strong moral compass and integrity
- Use your considerable experience to help Stripe with operationalizing U.S. tax information reporting compliance, in particular IRS Chapter 3, 4, and 61 rules and FATCA/CRIS, as well as similar international requirements such as BTTPS reporting in Australia to the ATO
- Work closely with product, engineering, legal, and operations teams to ensure that Stripe is properly collecting and validating tax information, withholding as necessary as well as timely issuing and filing tax forms to users (and eventually their customers), vendors and tax authorities. Such forms include but are not limited to U.S. Forms 1099-K, 1099-MISC, 1099-INT, 1099-C, 1042-S
- Be responsible for reviewing and documenting internal processes around Stripe’s tax information reporting and withholding obligations and preparing understandable documentation for our users
- Serve as the point person on the Tax Team for all global information reporting policy matters, working closely with the Policy Team to monitor and track any developments in both the U.S. (federal and state) and non-U.S. legislature regarding tax information reporting requirements that may be applicable to Stripe
- Support internal user facing teams, such as Account Managers, Sales, User Ops and others to address user queries as it relates to tax information reporting and withholding
We’re looking for someone who has:
- 6-8+ years of tax information reporting and withholding experience at an accounting/law firm, in-house (financial services industry or at another payment processor), or a combination of the first two
- A very strong understanding of the U.S. rules around information reporting and withholding and how to operationalize those rules at scale
- Exceptional time-management and project-management skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. You should be able to adjust your communication style based on your audience (users, product teams, advisors, etc.)
- The ability to prioritize projects in a fast-changing environment
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Empathy, humility
Nice to haves:
- An advanced degree or professional qualification (CPA, JD or equivalent, Masters in Tax, or LLM or equivalent) in tax or law.
- Experience working in a high-growth, rapidly scaling environment
- Experience working in technology, payments, or financial services
You should include these in your application:
- A resume and LinkedIn profile