Who we are
Stripe is a financial infrastructure platform for businesses. Millions of companies – from the world’s largest enterprises to the most ambitious startups – use Stripe to accept payments, grow their revenue, and accelerate new business opportunities. Our mission is to increase the GDP of the internet, and we have a staggering amount of work ahead. That means you have an unprecedented opportunity to put the global economy within everyone's reach while doing the most important work of your career.
About the team
Creating long-term value for our users is central to our mission at Stripe. Through our Product Risk team, we enable the safe deployment of our products with our customers, partners and industry communities across the world. Aligned with our Engineering, Product, and Operations teams, the team is responsible for serving as a trusted risk advisor, driving favorable risk outcomes end-to-end across the product, engineering and risk stakeholders and supporting critical risk business decisions required to accelerate Stripe’s business.
What you’ll do
It’s expected that the Lead will become a subject matter expert in Stripe’s risk policies in areas including fraud, credit, liquidity, partnership and brand risks, as well as keeping abreast of expected and emerging risk issues, economic trends, competitors and global issues, to bring the outside in. They are also responsible for identifying and strategizing the risk scaling opportunities for our products, whether it’s through automation, operations and/or additional resourcing.
The Risk Readiness Lead will be a seasoned professional with strong risk acumen, business strategy, business development and go-to-market experience. This person will have strong capability in solution definition, excellent communication skills (can clearly describe strategy and drill into tactics), metrics ownership and the ability to interact with all functions, disciplines, and levels in the organization.
- Play an integral role in the Product and Risk control development cycle, leading a team of strategists and coordinating closely with both Product and specialist Risk teams to identify risks, quantify the potential impact, and design action plans to implement appropriate controls and mitigants, as a key step in enabling new products.
- Set the overall strategy for how the Risk, Product and Engineering teams engage with the goal of enabling safer products, faster and develop an execution plan for your team of strategists.
- Be a risk expert, identifying existing and nascent risk trends and issues across Fraud, Credit, Supportability, among other areas, and translating those requirements into scalable business solutions that can be executed across the organization, inclusive of Engineering and Operations.
- Leverage your oversight of product risk on all new product launches to create and drive long-term macro risk management strategies to accelerate Stripe’s product development cycle. Orchestrate and drive accountability for risk outcomes, working and strategizing with Risk SMEs across fraud, credit and supportability, among other teams.
- Be accountable for ensuring all products undergo risk shaping to ensure observability and ensure we have appropriate controls and mitigants in place to manage exposure.
- Own Product Risk’s comms strategy and execution to inform Risk and the broader org on product roadmap, developments, mitigations, challenges, and updates.
- Fine tune and own the Product Risk operating model and our team’s engagement with Product leadership, Engineering, Data Science and other cross functional teams.
- Oversee efforts with Product, Engineering and Data Science to develop metrics and improve observability so that we can understand our enterprise risks across a wide range of products and features.
- Assess all products’ risk performance, and help develop and prioritize long-term strategic plans for future growth. Perform analyses and research to inform decision-making, and improve observability in partnership with data science.
- Enable products to safely grow at scale, continuously optimizing for efficiency and effectiveness
- Challenge the status quo and provide multiple alternative solutions and key execution criteria
- Continue learning about the payments space through industry engagement and independent research, and scale your knowledge to others.
- Execute special projects/ad hoc analyses as initiatives, products, risks, and opportunities are constantly evolving.
Who you are
We're looking for someone who meets the minimum requirements to be considered for the role. If you meet these requirements, you are encouraged to apply. The preferred qualifications are a bonus, not a requirement.
- 10+ years experience in payments, cards, crypto, or technology industry related roles with deep knowledge of finance.
- 8+ years experience in a related role (risk, compliance and/or product enablement).
- Strong problem-solving skills. You enjoy taking complex issues and turning them into actionable next steps.
- The ability to take ownership. You are accountable and drive towards ambitious goals.
- A passion for data analysis and the ability to frame business decisions and tradeoffs effectively through quantitative analysis and visualization.
- Effective program management skills and a proven track record for building and scaling programs from the ground up. You are extremely organized and not afraid to challenge and push teams and yourself.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to convey complex ideas succinctly to various audiences, including to senior leadership.
- Comfortable operating in an ambiguous & quickly changing environment with shifting priorities (this is a must!).
- You have an in-depth understanding of product and payment platforms & the finance industry.
- You have experience in the risk or compliance space.
- You are comfortable operating in depth in SQL, Excel, Google Sheets, etc.