Help us grow our legal team!
Stripe is looking for an experienced transactional lawyer to lead our EMEA commercial legal team, supporting our sales team. As the team lead, you’ll be responsible for all agreements with Stripe’s EMEA users, lead the most strategic deals and provide astute advice and guidance to our EMEA sales leadership and other support teams. You’ll lead a high performing, growing team of lawyers and contract managers, scaling positions and processes for the team, while guiding them through feedback, mentoring, and advocacy within the organization.
Stripe is a global technology company that builds infrastructure for online commerce. Our mission is to increase the GDP of the internet. We handle billions in transactions each year and enable millions of users around the world to scale faster and more efficiently by building their businesses on Stripe. Stripe operates within a complex and interwoven legal, regulatory, and financial partnership environment throughout the world. You should be comfortable supporting a complicated and regulated product that requires analysis on several fronts. Join us and you will work with a great team and have the opportunity to solve complicated problems in a fast-moving environment.
In this role you will:
- Manage and build a team of lawyers and contracts managers located across Europe.
- Implement scalable contracting processes.
- Serve as the EMEA team’s point of escalation for difficult issues.
- Collaborate with teams across Stripe, including product legal, sales, sales ops, tax and risk.
- Help ensure Stripe's commercial relationships comply with applicable legal and financial partner requirements.
- Identify and evaluate business and legal risks, and find creative ways to mitigate them while achieving business goals.
- Draft and manage Stripe’s agreements, written templates, playbooks, and processes.
- Negotiate and manage our most strategic agreements with our users.
- Deliver training and help educate internal business partners.
- Work across a spectrum of complex legal, business, and strategic issues.
- Manage outside counsel.
Our ideal candidate will have:
- Excellent academic credentials and professional experience.
- 10+ years of experience as a practicing solicitor / lawyer, including at least 7 years at a top-tier law firm or in-house department.
- Strong team management and interpersonal skills.
- A passion for drafting and negotiating commercial agreements.
- Extensive experience with technology agreements, particularly hosted services/SAAS agreements.
- Significant GDPR and data privacy expertise.
- Excellent communication skills and be a solid project manager, able to effectively lead the team in prioritizing and advancing a large number of deals and projects simultaneously, often on tight deadlines.
- Great judgment and be capable of solving problems and making smart decisions in the face of ambiguity and imperfect information.
- A willingness to jump in and do whatever needs to be done in an enthusiastic, proactive, and resourceful manner.
- A strong work ethic with a high degree of accountability and organisation.
- Curiosity for our evolving industry and a great personality.
Nice to haves:
- Familiarity with the payment or financial services industries and knowledge of associated regulatory issues.
- History of advising high growth companies, particularly those involved in highly regulated industries.
- Experience managing a remote team.
- A resume and LinkedIn profile.