Stripe builds economic infrastructure for the internet. We’re moving beyond payments and up the stack to empower businesses to run their financial life on Stripe. Indirect tax compliance is one of the leading detractors for startups and established businesses alikes and Stripe Tax is the product we are building to solve that.
We’re looking for an experienced leader who is excited to help reinvent the way businesses of all sizes and platforms think about their indirect tax compliance. The goal is to design and build the best possible user experience to make this a reality. Delivering this will span a wide range of product verticals (calculations, nexus management, reporting, and filing) that must all work seamlessly together to make indirect tax compliance something businesses don’t need to deal with.
This specific position is to build, manage, and lead the Reporting and eFile engineering teams for the Stripe Tax space. Growing the current single team into a regionalized division of specialized teams, working in the global tax space, is critical to the success of this product vertical. The right technical and people leadership will enable us to quickly ramp up our teams and technology to meet our users' needs while building a reliable foundation for indirect tax reporting and eFile. If that sounds exciting, we’d love to speak with you!
- Develop the long-term vision and strategy for the team, prioritize accordingly, and create an execution roadmap
- Support the engineering team in achieving a high level of technical quality, reliability, and ease-of-use
- Manage processes to help the team do its best work and engage effectively with the rest of Stripe
- Mentor and coach managers to create healthy and well-executing teams
- Develop engineers on the team, helping them advance in their careers
- Recruit great engineers in collaboration with Stripe’s recruiting team
- Contribute to engineering-wide initiatives as a member of Stripe’s engineering management team
You may be a good fit if:
- You have low ego and bring a high degree of empathy
- You encourage a healthy work environment that’s both supportive and challenging
- You have a passion for building teams that include identities, backgrounds, and experiences that reflect those of our ideal user base
- You’re excited to help engineers develop new skills and advance in their careers
- You have a track record of leading productive engineering teams, while attracting great teammates
- You are extremely customer focused and committed to providing a wonderful user experience
- You thrive on a high level of autonomy and responsibility
- You are clear and persuasive in writing and in person
- You bring excitement for collaborating cross functionally with engineering and business teams, think rigorously, and are able to make hard decisions and tradeoffs
An ideal candidate has the following experience:
- You have experience growing teams of 25+ engineers
- You have managed managers for 5+ years
- You have experience building user facing products
- You have a track-record of building simple and effective user experiences that delight users
You’re not expected to have expertise across all of these areas! We have wonderful team members who focus on our customers’ needs and build amazing user experiences, and didn’t work on APIs before joining Stripe.