Who we are
Stripe is a financial infrastructure platform for businesses. Millions of companies—from the world’s largest enterprises to the most ambitious startups—use Stripe to accept payments, grow their revenue, and accelerate new business opportunities. Our mission is to increase the GDP of the internet, and we have a staggering amount of work ahead. That means you have an unprecedented opportunity to put the global economy within everyone’s reach while doing the most important work of your career.
About the team
Stripe’s payments products have helped to accelerate many of the world’s most innovative companies, and the Payments Methods team owns one of Stripe’s most critical workflows, a platform that processes billions of dollars in payments annually.
We see more and more payment methods coming to the Buy Now Pay Later, Wallets, Bank Debits and Bank Transfers space. These provide more benefits to merchants and enable functionality that was not present before. These innovations are only increasing as new payment methods come to market each month. The team is focused on increasing the coverage and adoption of locally preferred payment methods for all our users. This includes building the payment method platform and the payment method integrations, and working on the adoption funnel to increase usage.
What you’ll do
Engineers on the team have the opportunity to expand the reach of Stripe’s global payments network, design and implement novel payment capabilities, and deliver best-in-class reliability and performance.
Learn more about payment methods at Stripe’s Payment Methods Guide.
- Scope, design and implement unique, large scale, high-performance distributed computing engine to handle billions of money movement requests in face of complex and often changing business logic
- Scope, design and implement highly performant hybrid transaction processing solution for large scale financial data
- Build a comprehensive set of tools to enable effective and delightful developer experience for payment related products by codifying complex payment logic and engineering needs with declarative artifacts (data model, rules, configurations, etc)
- Design, build, and maintain platform APIs, services, dashboards and user Interfaces to efficiently add, monitor and maintain payment methods and onboard Merchants
- Integrate with external Payment providers
- Help debug and solve critical production issues across services and multiple levels of the stack
- Teach and mentor others to become the next generation of leaders at Stripe
- Collaborate with technical and non-technical stakeholders across the company to build new features at large-scale, while improve internal engineering standards, tooling, and processes
Who you are
We’re looking for someone who meets the minimum requirements to be considered for the role. If you meet these requirements, you are encouraged to apply. The preferred qualifications are a bonus, not a requirement.
- A strong technical background, including 5+ years of experience with software engineering
- Strong coding skills in Java or related languages for building high performance services
- Good understanding and practical knowledge in cloud based services (e.g. gRPC, GraphQL, Docker/Kubernetes, cloud services such as AWS, etc.)
- Strong expertise and practical knowledge in database technologies particularly in utilizing large scale databases in the cloud, which includes clustering, sharding and failure recovery of RDBMS, Key-value store, and document databases
- Familiarity with the full life cycle of software development, from design and implementation to testing and deployment
- Strong analytical capability especially in modeling complex business flows and turning the business requirements into programmatic artifacts such as data models, algorithms, and API designs
- Experience in systems engineering on large scale testing, as well as reliability, security, and observability
- Prior knowledge in financial technology space, particularly in payment processing