Backend Engineer, Enterprise Tax Product
Who we are
Stripe is a financial infrastructure platform for businesses. Millions of companies—from the world’s largest enterprises to the most ambitious startups—use Stripe to accept payments, grow their revenue, and accelerate new business opportunities. Our mission is to increase the GDP of the internet, and we have a staggering amount of work ahead. That means you have an unprecedented opportunity to put the global economy within everyone’s reach while doing the most important work of your career.
About the team
Tax Reporting Product builds tax products and services for the world’s leading platforms and marketplaces to remain compliant with tax authorities. Our mission is to solve the tax complexity so that these businesses can operate and grow globally using Stripe’s network. We’re solving a very hard problem of stitching together the monetary flows and reporting obligations between an expansive collection of merchants, marketplaces, financial institutions and government regulators. Our new product distills the complex rules of tax into a platform with streamlined experiences that make tax filings easy and accurate. We are also one of the top emerging SaaS product offerings within Stripe and are enabling the company’s growth beyond core payments.
As a backend engineer on the Tax Product team, you will be responsible for building the core of our tax products, services and APIs in spectacularly robust fashion. You will design and build new platform capabilities that are configurable and scalable for all international tax regulations. You will be working on our most critical big data pipelines, control plane, services and APIs to enable product expansion and market growth. You will partner with many functions at Stripe, with the opportunity to both work on infrastructure/platform systems, as well as produce direct user-facing business impact.
What you’ll do
- Build unified tax reporting platform with strong foundations and integrations with a wide range of Stripe’s engineering systems.
- Architect core data models and big data pipelines for OLAP and OLTP workloads using Mongo, Kafka, Presto, Airflow, Apache Spark etc.
- Improve, scalability, consistency, and resiliency for our back end services using Ruby/Sorbet, Rails, AWS, SQL etc.
- Collaborate with many disciplines across the company to deliver and pioneer our product offering.
- Uphold our high engineering standards and bring consistency to the many codebases and processes you will encounter.
Who you are
We’re looking for someone who meets the minimum requirements to be considered for the role. If you meet these requirements, you are encouraged to apply.
- 3+ years experience as a backend software engineer
- Solid foundation and deep technical depth to build large scale distributed systems with a high bar for reliability, security, and global considerations.
- Enjoy thinking rigorously about big data pipelines, services, user experiences, and diving deep into the details.
- Thrive in a collaborative environment involving different stakeholders and subject matter experts.
- Take pride in working on projects to successful completion involving a wide variety of technologies and systems.