Join us as we pursue our disruptive new vision to make machine data accessible, usable and valuable to everyone. We are a company filled with people who are passionate about our product and seek to deliver the best experience for our customers. At Splunk, we’re committed to our work, customers, having fun and most importantly to each other’s success. Learn more about Splunk careers and how you can become a part of our journey!
Is writing about technology your passion? Do you want to work with one of the most forward-thinking documentation teams in the software industry? Spend the summer at Splunk!
Splunk is looking for highly motivated college students to join our team. As an intern, you will work on a real project (or a few) and have an opportunity to enjoy our dynamic, startup-like environment.
You will experience Splunking and what defines our culture while honing the skills which separate our development teams from others. Working to support internal and external customer needs, you will collaborate with multi-functional teams, receive mentorship, and gain insight into our values-driven process. Our goal is both to support your growth and development while empowering you for a successful start to your career.
Please include a cover letter with your application.
As a Technical Writer Intern you will be responsible for…
Collaborating closely with other writers, editors, software developers, UX designers, product managers, and support engineers to update existing topics and author new content based on customer feedback and internal requirements. You will gain hands-on experience writing, editing, and perhaps illustrating content for docs.splunk.com and/or dev.splunk.com. Our company features an environment where flexibility, teamwork, and delivering credible, customer focused solutions is paramount. We work in an Agile software development group and continuously update our documentation in GitHub, GitLab, and MediaWiki. As an intern on the Splunk doc team, you will meet some of the most inspiring and experienced writers in the industry, see what the future of data is all about, and make a tangible difference to the Splunk customer community.
- You will dive into the information development cycle to draft, revise, and validate a variety of enterprise software documentation topics
- You will use your fresh perspective as a new Splunk software user to offer suggestions for improving Splunk documentation
- You will work with expert writers, editors, and doc team managers to learn what technical writing looks like in the real world: part software development, part user experience design, part investigative journalism.
- A compulsive attention to detail and concern for both software and information quality
- A passion for learning new technologies, solving problems, and applying that knowledge to written assignments
- Experience following a style guide
- The ability to prioritize, multi-task, work to a deadline, and communicate project status
- Basic graphic design and image manipulation skills
- Strong self-motivation and initiative
- The ability to collaborate with a wide variety of team members
- Working well with others in a fast-paced environment
- Strong communication skills, verbal and written
- Enthusiasm for solving interesting problems
Actively pursuing a Bachelor’s, Master’s, or PhD in Technical Writing, Communications, Journalism, Computer Science or a related technical field, and a strong record of academic achievement.
What We Offer You
The opportunity to work with a set of extraordinarily talented and dedicated peers, all the way from engineering and QA to product management and customer support. Splunk flourishes with disruption and diversity.
A constant stream of new things for you to learn and an opportunity for growth and mentorship. We believe mentors help both sides of the equation.
A stable, collaborative and supportive work environment
We value diversity at our company. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or any other applicable legally protected characteristics in the location in which the candidate is applying.
For job positions in San Francisco, CA, and other locations where required, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.