Who we are
Samsara (NYSE: IOT) is the pioneer of the Connected Operations Cloud, which helps to digitize the world of physical operations, providing visibility and empowering entire sectors of our economy to become more safe, efficient, and sustainable. Founded in San Francisco in 2015, we now employ more than 2,000 people globally, have 2.3 million IoT devices deployed globally, and collect more than 85 billion minutes of video footage and 4.6 trillion data points annually.
Working at Samsara means you’ll help define the future of physical operations and be on a team that’s shaping an exciting array of product solutions, including video-based safety, vehicle telematics, apps and driver workflows, equipment monitoring, and site visibility. As part of a newly public company, you’ll have the autonomy and support to make an impact as we build for the long term.
Recent awards we’ve won include:
Best Place to Work by Built In 2022
Deloitte Fast 500 Companies
IoT Analytics Company of the Year in 2022’s IoT Breakthrough Winners
Every year, we partner with our customers to deliver outcomes like conserving millions of gallons of fuel, saving millions of dollars, and creating positive environmental change. As more customers connect to our platform, our data grows, our AI models get smarter, and our opportunities expand.
About the role:
The R&D Staff Program Manager is responsible for managing highly cross-functional and extremely complex strategic initiatives for the R&D organization at Samsara, such as launching new hardware products, building new partnership programs or rolling out new products, pricing packages. In this role you will partner closely with many teams, leaders and other program managers across Samsara, from R&D to Sales, Marketing and Finance. You will be proud to work on high-quality innovative products that are changing the world of physical operations and delivering real-life impact for our customers. The ideal candidate brings a unique blend of strong strategic and execution skills.
You should apply if:
- You want to make a difference: Your efforts will result in real-world impact—helping to keep the lights on, get food into grocery stores, and most importantly, ensure workers return home safely.
- You are the architect of your own career: If you put in the work, this role won’t be your last at Samsara. We set up our employees for success and have built a culture that encourages rapid career development, countless opportunities to experiment and master your craft in a hyper growth environment.
- You want to be with the best: At Samsara, we win together, celebrate together and support each other. You will be surrounded by the best and brightest professionals out there.
This may not be the right role for you if:
- You aren’t willing to put in the work: The opportunity we have to digitize large sectors of the global economy requires your full focus and best efforts to bring forth creative, ambitious ideas for our customers.
- You have nothing more to learn: Every Samsarian has a growth mindset and believes that what got us here won’t get us there.
- You aren’t a team player: Motivated by our mission, we’re all racing toward our connected operations vision, and we intend to win—together.
Click here to learn about what we value at Samsara.
In this role, you will:
- Partner with and guide cross functional teams across product management, engineering, go-to-market, finance, program management and other functions, in order to drive execution of key strategic R&D programs, such as new product launches.
- Establish complete end-to-end program plans with well-defined success criteria and effectively track success measures by systematically identifying issues and mitigating risks in a timely manner.
- Spearhead and manage highly complex programs, with multiple projects and workstreams, by coordinating across many stakeholders and other program managers in order to create a well-coordinated, cohesive and comprehensive plan for such programs.
- Understand technical risks and guide cross-functional teams to find the optimum solution for our customers and our business priorities.
- Drive effective cross-functional collaboration across R&D teams (Software, Firmware, Hardware) and Go-to-Market teams (Sales, Marketing, Customer Success), by ensuring continuous alignment on program objectives and success measures.
- Create program communications plans that ensure visibility and transparency on program objectives and status, across all levels and organizations, including executive staff.
- Coordinate and collaborate with multiple stakeholders and program managers that are responsible for various program workstreams or sub-projects, in order to build top-level visibility for R&D’s most strategic programs, and be able to clearly represent the full program at the executive level.
- Champion, role model, and embed Samsara’s cultural principles (Focus on Customer Success, Build for the Long Term, Adopt a Growth Mindset, Be Inclusive, Win as a Team) as we scale globally and across new offices.
Minimum requirements for this role:
- 10+ years in technical program management in the tech industry, especially in B2B SaaS or hardware companies.
- A natural problem solver and strategic thinker, who has a passion for creating a structured approach to solving complex problems, breaking down ambiguous problems and turning them into actionable solutions.
- Highly organized with exceptional attention to detail, with an ability to prioritize and manage multiple cross-functional projects with constrained resources and tight deadlines.
- Exceptional communication skills. Comfortable presenting to executives, internal stakeholders and external customers. Able to successfully adapt your style and leverage strong listening skills to inform your approach.
- Ability to build strong relationships with cross-functional partners and senior leadership across Product, Engineering, Finance, Sales, Customer Success, and Marketing.
- Versed in planning and tracking tools such as Microsoft Project, Airtable, SmartSheets, JIRA and Confluence.
- Experience with managing software and hardware product launches.
- Executive level experience and communication skills.
An ideal candidate also has:
- BS in a relevant technical field e.g. EE, ME, or CS.
- MBA is a plus.
At Samsara, we welcome everyone regardless of their background, race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, etc. We depend on the unique approaches of our team members to help us solve complex problems. We are committed to increasing diversity across our team and ensuring that Samsara is a place where people from all backgrounds can make an impact.
Samsara is an inclusive work environment, and we are committed to ensuring equal opportunity in employment for qualified persons with disabilities. Please email email@example.com or click here if you require any reasonable accommodations throughout the recruiting process.
US Only: Please note that Samsara’s COVID-19 vaccination policy requires all team members who will be meeting in person for business or working from one of our offices to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or submit regular testing. People who cannot be vaccinated for qualifying medical conditions, sincerely held religious beliefs, and other legally protected categories, may request an accommodation.
Full time employees receive an above market total compensation package along with employee-led remote and flexible working, health benefits, Samsara for Good charity fund, and much, much more. Take a look at our Benefits site to learn more.
At Samsara, we have adopted a flexible way of working, enabling teams and individuals to do their best work, regardless of where they’re based. We value in-person collaboration and know a change of scenery and quiet space to work is welcomed from time to time, but also appreciate that the world of work has changed. Our offices remain open for those who prefer to collaborate or work in-office, but we also encourage fully remote applicants. As most roles are not required to be in the office, we are able to hire remotely where Samsara has an established presence. If a role is required to be in a certain location and candidates do not have work authorization for that location, Samsara will conduct an immigration assessment. If the role is not required to be in a specific location, Samsara will move forward with the remote location that works best for the business. All offers of employment are contingent upon an individual’s ability to secure and maintain the legal right to work at the company.
Please note: Samsara does not accept agency resumes and is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Please do not forward resumes to Samsara employees.