Who We Are
Samsara is the pioneer of the Connected Operations Cloud, which allows businesses and organizations that depend on physical operations to harness IoT (Internet of Things) data to develop actionable business insights and improve their operations. Samsara operates in North America and Europe and serves more than 20,000 customers across a wide range of industries including transportation, wholesale and retail trade, construction, field services, logistics, utilities and energy, government, healthcare and education, manufacturing and food and beverage. Learn more about Samsara's mission to increase the efficiency, safety, and sustainability of the operations that power the global economy at www.samsara.com.
About the role:
Samsara is growing at a sensational pace. That growth stems from our constant curiosity and the thrill of finding new solutions for our customers. Samsara is looking for an experienced and talented compliance attorney to successfully manage that curiosity and solution seeking to maintain our growth for the long term. In this role, you’ll work alongside business partners in Engineering, Operations, Sales, and the People Team to provide sound, principled, and consistent judgment as the company continues to break new ground across the globe. You’ll work with creative and collaborative lawyers on matters ranging from international trade, data security, supply-chain management, and internal investigations. You will take ownership of vaguely-defined objectives and drive them forward to achieve optimal outcomes. Your diligence, judgment, and discretion make you a trusted counterpart in sensitive environments.
This role requires an independent yet collaborative individual who excels in a dynamic, fast-paced environment and who can work cross-functionally. We value individuals who consider new ideas and do not fall prey to entrenched modes of thought. We want you to be a force-multiplier, making those around you more effective. You have strong communication and interpersonal skills and are comfortable in high-pressure situations. You focus on the details, and you also have the broad vision to bring large and multi-stepped projects to completion.
In this role, you will:
- Develop Samsara’s in-house export compliance program by reviewing, revising, and implementing policies and procedures to ensure compliance with export and trade requirements
- Interpret, communicate, and apply global trade regulations and translate them into appropriate risk management advice and related operational processes
- Ensure compliance with Samsara’s Business Partner Code of Conduct and other third-party anti-corruption requirements
- Work closely with Product and Engineering teams, with a focus on compliance and governance, to provide counseling and guidance on new and existing features, services, and products
- Manage and lead internal investigations in collaboration with other key stakeholders, including Sales, Operations, and People
- Continuously improve Samsara’s internal investigation processes and playbooks
- Answer questions and offer legal advice on a wide range of compliance issues, projects, and initiatives across the company
- Champion, role model, and embed Samsara’s cultural principles (Focus on Customer Success, Build for the Long Term, Adopt a Growth Mindset, Be Inclusive, Win as a Team) as we scale globally and across new offices
Minimum requirements for the role:
- J.D. or an equivalent degree
- 6+ years of legal experience focused on international trade, compliance, and/or internal investigations at a top law firm, in-house, or in-government
- Prior involvement in creating elements of an effective compliance program, such as drafting policies, creating and delivering training, and implementing effective compliance program auditing and monitoring programs
- Experience with and strong understanding of software, software development, and technology
- Excellent communicator, project manager, and team player, including the ability to interact comfortably with executives and senior management
- Highly proactive self-starter who consistently delivers
- Adaptable and flexible, with a growth mindset and desire to work on a variety of matters
- Aptitude for maintaining strong working cross-functional relationships
- A practical, creative and proactive problem-solver who possesses strong business acumen and is confident, mature, and calm in high-pressure situations
- Admitted to the bar in which the role is located and in good standing or otherwise authorized to practice law (e.g., have registered in-house status) in the state of hire
An ideal candidate also has:
- Both private- and public-sector experience
- Extensive experience handling compliance investigations and/or complex litigation
- Experience with cutting-edge technologies, including data security and artificial intelligence
- Proven ability to model compliance requirements, including experience maintaining confidentiality, attorney-client privilege, privacy, and the security of data
- People management experience
At Samsara, we welcome all. All sizes, colors, cultures, sexes, beliefs, religions, ages, people. We depend on the unique approaches of our team members to help us solve complex problems. We are committed to increasing diversity across our team and ensuring that Samsara is a place where people from all backgrounds can make an impact.
Samsara is an inclusive work environment, and we are committed to ensuring equal opportunity in employment for qualified persons with disabilities. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or click here if you require any reasonable accommodations throughout the recruiting process.
US Only: Please note that Samsara’s COVID-19 vaccination policy requires all team members who will be meeting in person for business or working from one of our offices to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. People who cannot be vaccinated for qualifying medical conditions, sincerely held religious beliefs, and other legally protected categories, may request an accommodation.
Working at Samsara has its perks: for all global full-time employees, we provide private medical and dental insurance, growth and development opportunities, regular virtual team and company events, and other location-based perks. Review all of Samsara's current benefit offerings at rewards.samsara.com.
At Samsara, we have adopted a flexible way of working, enabling teams and individuals to do their best work. We value in person collaboration and know a change of scenery and quiet space to work is welcomed from time to time. Our offices remain open for those who prefer to collaborate or work in-office. We also offer a co-working support program for employees who are not located near a Samsara office. For more information about our Flexible Work model, please see our blog post here.