Who we are
Samsara (NYSE: IOT) is the pioneer of the Connected Operations Cloud, which helps to digitize the world of physical operations, providing visibility and empowering entire sectors of our economy to become more safe, efficient, and sustainable. Founded in San Francisco in 2015, we now employ more than 2,000 people globally, have 2.3 million IoT devices deployed globally, and collect more than 85 billion minutes of video footage and 4.6 trillion data points annually.
Working at Samsara means you’ll help define the future of physical operations and be on a team that’s shaping an exciting array of product solutions, including video-based safety, vehicle telematics, apps and driver workflows, equipment monitoring, and site visibility. As part of a newly public company, you’ll have the autonomy and support to make an impact as we build for the long term.
Recent awards we’ve won include:
Best Place to Work by Built In 2022
Deloitte Fast 500 Companies
IoT Analytics Company of the Year in 2022’s IoT Breakthrough Winners
Every year, we partner with our customers to deliver outcomes like conserving millions of gallons of fuel, saving millions of dollars, and creating positive environmental change. As more customers connect to our platform, our data grows, our AI models get smarter, and our opportunities expand.
About the role:
As a Sales Engineer at Samsara, you’d be an integral part of a diverse team working to help modernize essential industries through the application of cutting edge IoT solutions. Your work would directly contribute to a cleaner, more efficient and productive supply chain by creating safer roadways, reducing fuel consumption and emissions, and providing a consolidated platform for connecting operations. Our daily customer engagements include conversations around how IoT can positively impact logistics management, workplace safety programs, fleet maintenance strategies, global asset management, and regulatory compliance. This means a successful SE at Samsara will develop a thorough understanding of the application of IoT hardware and sensors, hands-on hardware installation strategies, managing data collection over carrier networks, presenting a robust cloud infrastructure, and building third-party system integrations (via our open API) to ensure the best technical solution is presented to Samsara customers.
You should apply if:
- You want to make a difference: Your efforts will result in real-world impact—helping to keep the lights on, get food into grocery stores, and most importantly, ensure workers return home safely.
- Your mantra is #alwaysbeprospecting: The world of operations is vast. Your customers are often out in the field and the best way to catch them is live on the phone. Samsara’s top reps do constant research to find companies and contacts to expand their pipeline.
- You have innate curiosity in how businesses work: One day you’ll meet with someone in waste management and the next you may be learning about the inner workings of a food distribution center. Our top sales team members seek to learn the ins and outs of the businesses they support in order to make a larger impact.
- You build genuine relationships with your customers: The industries we serve have relied on pen-and-paper solutions for years and haven’t been met with the type of technology we offer. Our customers value earned trust and human relationships built over time.
- You want to be with the best: Samsara’s high-performance culture means you’ll be surrounded by the best and challenged to go farther than you have before.
This may not be the right role for you if:
- You aren’t willing to put in the work: Samsara sales are complex. You will need to learn about businesses where you previously had little knowledge. The payoff is big but you have to be willing to put in the work.
- You aren’t a team player: At Samsara, sales is a team sport. We help each other out by sharing best practices and focus on winning as a team.
- You have nothing more to learn: Every Samsarian has a growth mindset and believes that what got us here won’t get us there.
Click here to learn about what we value at Samsara.
In this role, you will:
- Become an expert on Samsara products: where the rubber of cutting-edge tech (IoT, AI, computer vision) meets the road of driving digital transformation for physical operations.
- Articulate to prospects how businesses like theirs use Samsara today to solve obstacles common to their industry.
- Deliver the work products that get deals done. Think discoveries, demonstrations, value assessments, proof of concept implementations, etc.
- Walk installers through any scenario, explaining best practices for installing Samsara products and helping build deployment plans.
- Write sample proof-of-concept scripts against our open API that solve real-world problems for companies that deliver essential services (for example), and document them for your fellow SE’s to use.
- Open the door for deeper entrenchment into accounts (integration, upsell, cross sell) by becoming a consultant to your customers.
- Act as a liaison between Samsara’s product and sales teams, translating technical feedback and enrolling the right customers in our beta programs.
- Champion, role model, and embed Samsara’s cultural principles (Focus on Customer Success, Build for the Long Term, Adopt a Growth Mindset, Be Inclusive, Win as a Team) as we scale globally and across new offices
Minimum requirements for the role:
- BS in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Mechanical Engineering, Industrial Engineering, or related discipline
- 3+ years experience working with customers in a pre-sales, customer success, or customer/product support capacity
- Possess the attitude and aptitude for continuous growth and development
- Ability to influence stakeholders based on your technical sales acumen and a solid understanding of business processes and change management
- Ability to explain complex technical concepts to non-technical audiences
- Previous experience managing hardware and/or software product evaluations
- Basic understanding of electronics and electrical systems
- Experience with the following concepts: technical consulting, cloud software, cloud-connected hardware, computer networking, business systems integration, automation and control systems
An ideal candidate also has:
- 5+ years enterprise public sector field experience working with customers in a pre-sales environment
- Understanding of vehicle diagnostic systems, including Controller Area Networks (CAN bus) and Power Take Off (PTO) applications
- Skilled in the art of identifying customer value – identifying on delivering what is most important to the customer and tuning out the noise
- Hobbyist interest in working with things driven by electronic systems (car audio installation/classic car restoration, home automation, building things with raspberry pi, arduino, etc.)
- Consistent track record of success selling complex technical solutions through strategic sales cycles
- Work experience building solutions leveraging open API’s
At Samsara, we welcome everyone regardless of their background, race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, etc. We depend on the unique approaches of our team members to help us solve complex problems. We are committed to increasing diversity across our team and ensuring that Samsara is a place where people from all backgrounds can make an impact.
Samsara is an inclusive work environment, and we are committed to ensuring equal opportunity in employment for qualified persons with disabilities. Please email email@example.com or click here if you require any reasonable accommodations throughout the recruiting process.
US Only: Please note that Samsara’s COVID-19 vaccination policy requires all team members who will be meeting in person for business or working from one of our offices to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or submit regular testing. People who cannot be vaccinated for qualifying medical conditions, sincerely held religious beliefs, and other legally protected categories, may request an accommodation.
Full time employees receive an above market total compensation package along with employee-led remote and flexible working, health benefits, Samsara for Good charity fund, and much, much more. Take a look at our Benefits site to learn more.
At Samsara, we have adopted a flexible way of working, enabling teams and individuals to do their best work, regardless of where they’re based. We value in-person collaboration and know a change of scenery and quiet space to work is welcomed from time to time, but also appreciate that the world of work has changed. Our offices remain open for those who prefer to collaborate or work in-office, but we also encourage fully remote applicants. As most roles are not required to be in the office, we are able to hire remotely where Samsara has an established presence. If a role is required to be in a certain location and candidates do not have work authorization for that location, Samsara will conduct an immigration assessment. If the role is not required to be in a specific location, Samsara will move forward with the remote location that works best for the business. All offers of employment are contingent upon an individual’s ability to secure and maintain the legal right to work at the company.
Please note: Samsara does not accept agency resumes and is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Please do not forward resumes to Samsara employees.