Who we are
Samsara (NYSE: IOT) is the pioneer of the Connected Operations Cloud, which allows businesses that depend on physical operations to harness IoT (Internet of Things) data to develop actionable business insights and improve their operations. Founded in San Francisco in 2015, we now employ more than 1,800 people globally and have over 1.5 million active devices. Samsara also went public in December 2021 and we’re just getting started.
Recent awards we’ve won include:
- #2 in the Financial Times’ Fastest Growing Companies in Americas list 2021
- Named as a Best Place to Work in Built In 2022
- #19 in the Forbes Cloud 100 2021
- IoT Analytics Company of the Year in 2022’s IoT Breakthrough Winners
- Forbes Advisor named us the Best Solution for Large Companies – Fleet management software for 2022!
We're driving change in industries that are yet to fully embrace digital transformation. Physical operations make up a massive slice of the global economy but haven’t benefited from innovation and actionable information in the way that other sectors have. The potential for scale and impact is huge.
About the role:
The Samsara Tax Department strives to be the best-in-class tax department that manages the core tax functions with efficiency enabling the team to continuously add value throughout the Samsara supply chain. The Director will serve as a key leader of the tax department responsible for quarterly SEC reporting and US tax compliance. This leader will be a key resource for other functional departments ensuring we deliver exceptional service to our internal and external stakeholders.
Click here to learn about what we value at Samsara.
In this role, you will:
- Responsible for the provision of services in the areas of corporate taxation, including:
- Management of annual US corporate income tax filings
- Management of US tax compliance to support US and foreign cash tax
- Ensure global compliance with corporate tax reporting
- Management of various external consultants
- Management of US tax audits and provide direct support to VP in US tax audit defense
- Responsible for the provision of services in the areas of SEC reporting, including:
- Management of quarterly reporting of the tax provision
- Assist the VP with SEC reporting including the preparation of schedules, reports, and analytics to assist in communicating the results of the Tax function
- Responsible for the forecasting process to ensure proper reflection of the ETR
- Prepare schedules to easily communicate the tax rate to the Senior Executive team
- Develop tax planning, implementation of strategies, Merger and Acquisitions efforts, and special projects for the Group
- Responsible for tax due-diligence with the assistance of outside consultants when needed
- Provide assistance to the M&A team during the bidding process to ensure the correct tax assumptions are modeled
- Provide tax technical support to the business channels and other functional areas
- Coordinate with multiple functional areas such as Legal, Human Resources, Finance, and Treasury
- Serve as a liaison with other functional groups; establishes and maintains the working rapport necessary to develop cooperation within the Group
- Serve as a resource for the sales team and manages the US indirect tax function to ensure overall SALT compliance
- Develop short and long-term goals and plans for the Domestic Tax function including assisting with:
- Efficient workflow patterns
- Effective delineation of duties and responsibilities
- Champion, role model, and embed Samsara’s cultural principles (Focus on Customer Success, Build for the Long Term, Adopt a Growth Mindset, Be Inclusive, Win as a Team) as we scale globally and across new offices
- Hire, develop and lead an inclusive, engaged, and high performing team
Minimum requirements for the role:
- Candidate must be able to work independently
- Candidate must have experience supervising a team
- Candidate must have experience completing tax provisions for publicly traded companies
- Candidate must have experience with US tax compliance
- International experience preferred
- Years of experience – 7-10 Years
- Degree – Bachelors
- Specific experience – Big 4 and Tech industry experience preferred but not required
An ideal candidate also has:
At Samsara, we welcome everyone regardless of their background, race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, etc. We depend on the unique approaches of our team members to help us solve complex problems. We are committed to increasing diversity across our team and ensuring that Samsara is a place where people from all backgrounds can make an impact.
Samsara is an inclusive work environment, and we are committed to ensuring equal opportunity in employment for qualified persons with disabilities. Please email email@example.com or click here if you require any reasonable accommodations throughout the recruiting process.
US Only: Please note that Samsara’s COVID-19 vaccination policy requires all team members who will be meeting in person for business or working from one of our offices to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or submit regular testing. People who cannot be vaccinated for qualifying medical conditions, sincerely held religious beliefs, and other legally protected categories, may request an accommodation.
Our target total compensation market position is in the top 25% of all software and hardware companies. Our full time employees receive an above market-rate salary, an outstanding equity offering, employee-led remote and flexible working, health benefits, personal development, Samsara for Good charity fund, and much, much more. Take a look at our Benefits site to learn more.
At Samsara, we have adopted a flexible way of working, enabling teams and individuals to do their best work, regardless of where they’re based. We value in-person collaboration and know a change of scenery and quiet space to work is welcomed from time to time, but also appreciate that the world of work has changed. Our offices remain open for those who prefer to collaborate or work in-office, but we also encourage fully remote applicants. As most roles are not required to be in the office, we are able to hire remotely where Samsara has an established presence. If a role is required to be in a certain location and candidates do not have work authorization for that location, Samsara will conduct an immigration assessment. If the role is not required to be in a specific location, Samsara will move forward with the remote location that works best for the business. All offers of employment are contingent upon an individual’s ability to secure and maintain the legal right to work at the company.