Remote is solving global remote organizations’ biggest challenge: employing anyone anywhere compliantly. We make it possible for businesses big and small to employ a global team by handling global payroll, benefits, taxes, and compliance. Check out remote.com/how-it-works to learn more or if you’re interested in adding to the mission, scroll down to apply now.
Please take a look at remote.com/handbook to learn more about our culture and what it is like to work here. Not only do we encourage folks from all ethnic groups, genders, sexuality, age and abilities to apply, but we prioritize a sense of belonging. You can check out independent reviews by other candidates on Glassdoor or look up the results of our candidate surveys to see how others feel about working and interviewing here.
All of our positions are fully remote. You do not have to relocate to join us!
What this job can offer you
This is an exciting time to join Remote and make a personal difference in the global HR-tech space as a Legal Associate – Employment (internally we call this a Legal Specialist), joining our Legal Team as an Employment Law Specialist. We are looking for a talented and eager employment lawyer, who is interested in helping with our team’s mission, namely: supercharging our business through the provision of excellent legal advice and implementation of solid legal processes.
Remote’s well established Legal team is a bunch of friendly, talented highly motivated lawyers from a whole host of different countries, with some awesome experiences.
As Remote is increasing its global footprint, every expansion into a new country brings myriad legal issues. The Legal Team is responsible for the legal soundness of our business models, contractual agreements with clients and their staff (i.e. the employees we hire under our “Employer of Record” service – our “external employees”) and data protection compliance amongst other areas.
More specifically, we support:
- Our Sales team in their negotiations with clients (this includes optimising the contracting process – who doesn’t love a good playbook?);
- Our Employee Lifecycle team in their support for external employees (if you want to know how to get a social security number for someone in Spain, this is the place to be!); and
- Our International Expansion team, providing them with legal support as we expand into new territories;
- Our People team in managing internal employees and ensuring compliance across jurisdictions.
We want to empower team members to Own (one of our five core values) their projects and tasks. They nevertheless have support, leadership and guidance from our General Counsel who has run Legal teams in 2 fast-paced scale ups.
- Advise the Employee Lifecycle Team to quickly and compliantly onboard, manage and off-board Remote’s employer of record employees
- Develop excellent template contracts and knowledge resources
- Support our People team regarding internal employee matters
- Ensure Remote operates a compliant workforce across all territories
- Help with strategic thinking around our business model and future opportunities
- Solve legal issues rather than escalating problems
What you bring
- Senior qualified lawyer – preference for qualification in Canada, France, Germany, Spain, Italy, Netherlands.
- Extensive experience in advisory employment work including the entire employee lifecycle (recruitment, HR policies, benefits, and terminations are the key areas)
- Interested in working for a tech-scaleup and specifically HR-tech
- Keen to understand a whole range of international employment law challenges rather than just focusing on the territory in which you’ve trained.
- Ability to learn and master Remote's communication application (Slack), contract management system (Juro), documentation sources (Notion, Google Drive, etc.), and task management system (Asana)
- Writes and speaks fluent English
- Previous in-house experience
- Understanding of employment agreements in multiple countries
- Experience in contentious employment work
- Fluent in multiple languages
- Experience working remotely
- You'll report to: Head of Legal; Legal Team
- Team: Legal
- Location: Anywhere in the World
- Start date: As soon as possible
Remote Compensation Philosophy
Remote's Total Rewards philosophy is to ensure fair, unbiased compensation and fair pay along with competitive benefits in all locations in which we operate. We do not agree to or encourage cheap-labor practices and therefore we ensure to pay above in-location rates. We hope to inspire other companies to support global talent-hiring and bring local wealth to developing countries.
Our benefits & perks are explained in our public handbook at remote.com/benefits.
How you’ll plan your day (and life)
We work async at Remote which means you can plan your schedule around your life (and not around meetings). Read more at remote.com/async.
You will be empowered to take ownership and be proactive. When in doubt you will default to action instead of waiting. Your life-work balance is important and you will be encouraged to put yourself and your family first, and fit work around your needs.
If that sounds like something you want, apply now!
- Interview with recruiter
- Interview with members of the Legal team
- Interview with members of the Lifecycle and People team
- Written exercise
- Interview with Head of legal
- Prior employment verification check (Read more at remote.com/employment-checks)
How to apply
Please fill out the form below and upload your CV with a PDF format.
If you don’t have an up to date CV but you are still interested in talking to us, please feel free to add a copy of your LinkedIn profile instead.
Need help? Email firstname.lastname@example.org