Accelerate your career by joining Okta as a member of our Privacy & Product Legal Team! As Senior Corporate Counsel, Public Sector Product and Privacy, you’ll be in charge of building a global public sector legal practice and providing product counseling in support of Okta’s rapidly growing public sector vertical. In this position you will play a key role in supporting the engineering, product, and sales organizations at a high-growth, publicly-traded enterprise software company.
This position may be based in our San Francisco, San Jose, Chicago, or Washington DC offices. We are also open to a remote-work arrangement or another Okta office, based in the U.S., for the right candidate.
- Provide solution-oriented legal counsel, identify business risks and work closely with Okta’s Product Management and Engineering teams regarding matters impacting Okta’s public sector product offerings.
- Participate and counsel teams through all stages of the product development lifecycle with respect to applicable public sector laws and regulations, regulatory frameworks, NIST security controls, authorizations (including FedRAMP and IL4/IL5), and industry certifications, and help bring existing products to compliance so that they can be brought to market in the public sector.
- Develop, implement and maintain effective standards, policies and procedures for product compliance in various public sector verticals.
- Partner with members of the Legal, Security & Compliance, Engineering, Product Management, Marketing and People teams, and outside counsel to help ensure Okta’s public sector product offerings are compliant with public sector-related laws, regulations and contractual obligations in a rapidly changing public sector landscape.
- Track new and emerging public sector laws, regulations and requirements impacting Okta’s public sector products and services.
- Partner with the Public Sector Legal Team to draft and negotiate customer and prospective customer agreements in the public sector vertical, including Data Processing Agreements, Business Associate Agreements, and product-related terms.
- Counsel various groups across Okta regarding US persons/citizens requirements and other similar requirements as they relate to Okta’s public sector products.
- Provide assistance in reviewing public sector marketing and other external communications content associated with the public sector as needed.
Required Skills and Experience:
- 7+ years of law firm and/or in-house experience, including at least 3 years working primarily on software matters, preferably at a SaaS company.
- Product counseling experience, either in-house or at a law firm.
- Sound and practical legal and business judgment, as well as the ability to think strategically and develop strong working relationships with key internal clients.
- Knowledge of the FAR, DFARS, U.S. federal procurement, and statutes and regulations associated with public sector cloud computing.
- A self-motivated individual who takes initiative and is comfortable rolling up their sleeves to understand and independently advise on issues of first impression.
- Experience drafting contract language and negotiating software transactions.
- Familiarity with privacy and data protection laws strongly preferred.
- Team oriented with a sense of humor and high emotional intelligence.
- Excellent written/verbal communication, presentation, drafting and negotiation skills.
- Highly-responsive and service-oriented attitude.
- Strong academic background and J.D. from highly regarded school, active bar admission.
- This position requires the ability to access federal environments and/or have access to protected federal data. As a condition of employment for this position, the successful candidate must be able to submit documentation establishing U.S. Person status (e.g. a U.S. Citizen, National, Lawful Permanent Resident, Refugee, or Asylee. 22 CFR 120.15) upon hire.
(Colorado, New York City and Washington only*) Minimum salary of $178,000/year + bonus + equity + benefits *Note: Disclosure as required by sb19-085(8-5-20))
Okta is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Okta is rethinking the traditional work environment, providing our employees with the flexibility to be their most creative and successful versions of themselves, no matter where they are located. We enable a flexible approach to work, meaning for roles where it makes sense, you can work from the office, or from home, regardless of where you live. Okta invests in the best technologies and provides flexible benefits and collaborative work environments/experiences, empowering employees to work productively in a setting that best and uniquely suits their needs. Find your place at Okta https://www.okta.com/company/careers/.
By submitting an application, you agree to the retention of your personal data for consideration for a future position at Okta. More details about Okta’s privacy practices can be found at: https://www.okta.com/privacy-policy.