Accelerate your career by joining Okta as a member of our Cybersecurity Legal Team! As Senior Corporate Counsel, Cybersecurity you’ll be in charge of building a scalable global cybersecurity practice and providing product counseling in support of Okta’s rapidly growing public sector vertical.
- Counsel and work closely with Okta’s Product Management and Engineering teams regarding cybersecurity matters impacting Okta’s public sector business. Participate and counsel teams through all stages of the public sector product lifecycle with respect to applicable data security laws and regulations, security frameworks and industry certifications (including ensuring that new environments and offerings are compliance with public sector requirements, drafting security documentation, drafting product specific terms, etc.).
- Investigate and analyze potential security incidents, determine legal and regulatory responsibilities, advise on necessary and recommended responses, and provide guidance on mitigation, remediation, and resolution efforts.
- Develop, implement, and maintain effective standards, policies and procedures for global public sector incident and data breach planning and response, as well as advise on best practices for addressing any potential cybersecurity vulnerabilities associated with Okta’s services in the public sector vertical.
- Partner with members of the Legal, Security & Compliance, Engineering, Product Management, Marketing and People teams, and outside counsel to help ensure the company’s compliance with cybersecurity related laws, regulations and contractual obligations in a rapidly changing public sector landscape, and to track new and emerging public sector cybersecurity policies and regulations (including proposed FAR and DFARS clauses) impacting cloud services providers.
- Partner with the Public Sector Legal Team to support Okta’s Sales and Professional Services teams by working with public sector customers, prospective customers, and partners on cybersecurity related questions regarding Okta’s services, including supporting the drafting and negotiation of cybersecurity related agreements and addenda, and supporting the Public Sector compliance team in tracking and ensuring compliance with any non-standard cybersecurity related contract clauses.
- Perform cybersecurity risk assessments and internal policy gap analyses and adjust Okta’s public-sector security policies in the U.S. and internationally as needed.
- Provide legal advice to Okta’s Security team regarding FedRAMP, DoD Information Level, and agency specific authorization and cybersecurity requirements.
- Review public sector marketing and other external communications content associated with cybersecurity topics for accuracy and completeness.
- Manage outside counsel and consultants, as needed.
Required Skills and Experience:
- 7+ years of law firm and/or in-house experience, including at least 2 years working primarily on cybersecurity matters, preferably at a SaaS technology company.
- Public sector product counseling experience, either in-house or at a law firm
- Sound and practical legal and business judgement, as well as the ability to think strategically and develop strong working relationships with key internal clients.
- Deep knowledge of the FAR, DFARS, U.S. federal procurement, and statutes and regulations associated with cybersecurity.
- A self-motivated individual who takes initiative and is comfortable rolling up their sleeves to understand and independently advise on issues of first impression.
- Experience drafting contract language and negotiating U.S. public sector transactions strongly preferred.
- Team oriented with a sense of humor and high emotional intelligence
- Strong academic background and J.D. from highly regarded school, active bar admission.
Okta is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Okta is rethinking the traditional work environment, providing our employees with the flexibility to be their most creative and successful versions of themselves, no matter where they are located. We enable a flexible approach to work, meaning for roles where it makes sense, you can work from the office, or from home, regardless of where you live. Okta invests in the best technologies and provides flexible benefits and collaborative work environments/experiences, empowering employees to work productively in a setting that best and uniquely suits their needs. Find your place at Okta https://www.okta.com/company/careers/.
By submitting an application, you agree to the retention of your personal data for consideration for a future position at Okta. More details about Okta’s privacy practices can be found at: https://www.okta.com/privacy-policy.
((Colorado only*) Minimum salary of $169,000/year + bonus, commission, or variable comp (depending on role) + equity + benefits *Note: Disclosure as required by sb19-085(8-5-20))