We're on a mission to make it possible for every person, team, and company to be able to tailor their software to solve any problem and take on any challenge. Computers may be our most powerful tools, but most of us can't build or modify the software we use on them every day. At Notion, we want to change this with focus, design, and craft.
We've been working on this together since 2016, and have customers like Pixar, Mitsubishi, Figma, Plaid, Match Group, and thousands more on this journey with us. Today, we're growing fast and excited for new teammates to join us who are the best at what they do. We're passionate about building a company as diverse and creative as the millions of people Notion reaches worldwide.
About The Role:
At its core, Notion builds software that empowers customers to solve their own problems. We deliver customers, creators, and developers a set of building blocks that enables them to make software the way they want for their use cases. As such, Notion can be used for almost anything: for writing and sharing docs, as a wiki, for managing projects and tasks, and more.
We’re looking for a practical lawyer to join Notion’s Legal Team. As part of the Product Legal team, you will be exposed to a wide variety of issues as we work cross-functionally with multiple departments, including Engineering, Product, Design, Security, Brand and Marketing, and Customer Experience. This is an exciting opportunity to help build a product legal program to help Notion meet its ambitious goals.
This role can be based in either our San Francisco or New York office.
What You'll Achieve:
- Serve as one of the first points of contact for legal issues throughout the product development lifecycle and provide practical day to day and strategic advice to the engineering and product teams
- Work with cross-functional teams to build scalable processes to provide products that our customers can trust
- Support the readiness and release of products and features by identifying and driving resolution of issues related to privacy, data security, marketing, competition, intellectual property, and other legal and regulatory areas
- Develop and deliver training and communications relating to legal issues related to product development
- Address a variety of issues of first impression and other special projects as needed
Skills You'll Need to Bring:
- A Juris Doctor (JD) degree and admission to the California bar or ability to be registered as in-house counsel in California
- 8+ years of legal experience, including at least 3 years practicing as a product attorney within a software technology company
- Experience counseling product and engineering teams through the product development lifecycle from conception to launch and advising on the legal and regulatory aspects of product development in the software industry
- Excellent drafting, written and verbal communication skills and ability to adapt legal requirements in balanced, creative and pragmatic ways to facilitate clear and open communication at all levels of the organization
- Strong communication skills and cooperative team player. Lead with empathy and understanding while embracing diverse points of view, to build meaningful relationships and trust with internal partners, clients, and leaders.
- Resilience, resourcefulness, and the ability to make recommendations and decisions with imperfect facts
- Independent and strategic thought combined with excellent team player qualities (no job is too small or too large) and a willingness to take on additional responsibilities
- Proven track record building new or improving existing programs or processes
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment
Nice to Haves:
- Prior experience with a fast-growing start-up, a SaaS company, or are eager to contribute in such an environment
- Familiarity using Notion
We hire talented and passionate people from a variety of backgrounds because we want our global employee base to represent the wide diversity of our customers. If you’re excited about a role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every bullet point listed in the job description, we still encourage you to apply. If you’re a builder at heart, share our company values, and enthusiastic about making software toolmaking ubiquitous, we want to hear from you.
Notion is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate in hiring or any employment decision based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or other applicable legally protected characteristic. Notion considers qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Notion is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please let your recruiter know.
Notion is committed to providing highly competitive cash compensation, equity, and benefits. The compensation offered for this role will be based on multiple factors such as location, the role’s scope and complexity, and the candidate’s experience and expertise, and may vary from the range provided below. For roles based in New York City, the estimated base salary range for this role is $200,000 – $270,000 per year.