- Full Time
Senior Software Engineer, PaaS
The HubSpot Product team is made up of over 1200 engineers, designers, product managers, and researchers. We’re passionate about building tools that help small and medium-sized businesses market, sell, and serve their customers — and ultimately, grow better.
Those tools end up in the HubSpot application platform, which itself is made up of thousands of services, workers, and jobs spanning over 170 teams and thousands of repos. Our teams work autonomously to deploy these systems across a common infrastructure, up to 3,000 times a day.
HubSpot’s Platform-as-a-Service (“PaaS”) backend software development team is charged with making the developer experience at HubSpot world-class. The Edge team focuses on managing the load balancing layer to make it easy and frictionless for our teams to receive traffic from our customers. We’re responsible for everything after a request leaves a customer’s computer, from managing the CDN to operating our own open-source load balancer orchestration system (Baragon). Along the way we help mitigate DDoS attacks, handle high traffic periods (think Black Friday), and reduce the average latency to load the HubSpot app.
What you’ll do:
- Design, implement, and test load balancer configuration and orchestration code.
- Use HubSpot’s proprietary services to build, deploy and manage HubSpots load balancers.
- Monitor and tune metrics to ensure traffic is flowing smoothly to HubSpot.
- Assist in the on-going migration of our foundational load balancer from Nginx to Envoy
- Mentor junior engineers in areas such as architecture, design, coding, tooling and infrastructure
- Provide technical leadership and direction for team projects
- Participate in code reviews
- Carry out system testing and debugging
- Participate in an on-call rotation
What we’re looking for:
- Expertise in Java, C++ or similar object-oriented languages.
- Consistently demonstrated strong ownership of projects end to end, track record of successfully rolling out infrastructure, collaborating with multiple Engineering teams to deliver successful solutions
- Designed robust data models to represent complex domain data that scales effectively as use cases evolve
- Interested in working with and supporting infrastructure at scale.
- Solve complicated technical problems and analyze tradeoffs with empathy for the developers, yet building creative solutions.
- Demonstrated pragmatic decision making and problem-solving abilities.
Experience in one or more of the following areas would be highly regarded:
- Working with CDN (Cloudflare experience a plus) and edge network systems (Cloudflare worker and similar edge-compute systems a plus)
- Writing Kubernetes operators and/or interacting with the Kubernetes APIs.
- Operating a load balancer at scale (e.g. Nginx, Envoy, HAProxy)
- Experience rolling out and managing a service mesh
Cash compensation range: 175000-210000 USD Annually
This resource will help guide how we recommend thinking about the range you see. Learn more about HubSpot’s compensation philosophy from Katie Burke, HubSpot’s Chief People Officer.
The cash compensation above includes base salary, on-target commission for employees in eligible roles, and annual bonus targets under HubSpot’s bonus plan for eligible roles. In addition to cash compensation, all HubSpotters are eligible to participate in HubSpot’s equity plan to receive restricted stock units (RSUs). Some roles may also be eligible for overtime pay. Individual compensation packages are based on a few different factors unique to each candidate, including their skills, experience, qualifications and other job-related reasons.
We know that benefits are also an important piece of your total compensation package. To learn more about what’s included in total compensation, check out some of the benefits and perks HubSpot offers to help employees grow better.
At HubSpot, fair compensation practices isn’t just about checking off the box for legal compliance. It’s about living out our value of transparency with our employees, candidates, and community.
We know the confidence gap and imposter syndrome can get in the way of meeting spectacular candidates, so please don’t hesitate to apply — we’d love to hear from you.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. This information will be treated as confidential and used only for the purpose of determining an appropriate accommodation for the interview process.
Important COVID-19 Guidance (For candidates applying to roles in the United States):
Per HubSpot’s policy all employees who wish to work @office or @flex or to visit an office in-person must be fully-vaccinated. At this time, @remote employees are not required to be vaccinated.
Germany Applicants: (m/f/d) – link to HubSpot's Career Diversity page here.
HubSpot (NYSE: HUBS) is a leading customer relationship management (CRM) platform that provides software and support to help businesses grow better. We build marketing, sales, service, and website management products that start free and scale to meet our customers’ needs at any stage of growth. We’re also building a company culture that empowers people to do their best work. If that sounds like something you’d like to be part of, we’d love to hear from you.
You can find out more about our company culture in the HubSpot Culture Code, which has more than 5M views, and learn about our commitment to creating a diverse and inclusive workplace, too. Thanks to the work of every employee globally, HubSpot was named the #2 Best Place to Work on Glassdoor in 2022, and has been recognized for award-winning culture by Great Place to Work, Comparably, Fortune, Entrepreneur, Inc., and more.
Headquartered in Cambridge, Massachusetts, HubSpot was founded in 2006. Today, thousands of employees work across the globe in HubSpot offices and remotely. Visit our careers website to learn more about culture and opportunities at HubSpot.
By submitting your application, you agree that HubSpot may collect your personal data for recruiting, global organization planning, and related purposes. HubSpot's Privacy Notice explains what personal information we may process, where we may process your personal information, our purposes for processing your personal information, and the rights you can exercise over HubSpot’s use of your personal information.