Gusto is a modern, online people platform that helps small businesses take care of their teams. On top of full-service payroll, Gusto offers health insurance, 401(k)s, expert HR, and team management tools. Today, Gusto offices in Denver, San Francisco, and New York serve more than 100,000 businesses nationwide.
Our mission is to create a world where work empowers a better life, and it starts right here at Gusto. That’s why we’re committed to building a collaborative and inclusive workplace, both physically and virtually. Learn more about our Total Rewards philosophy.
We believe in providing people with everything they need to do their best work, and are looking for our first Executive Compensation Manager to own and elevate Gusto's compensation programs and strategy for leadership candidates (director+). You'll build compensation programs across Gusto, while helping us scale thoughtfully and effectively. As a partner to our leaders, you'll be a key leader in designing our philosophy to recruit and retain top talent.
The People team at Gusto focuses on developing a positive employee experience that empowers people to do the best work of their lives. We aspire to craft an environment that inspires and enables Gusto to go beyond what is thought possible. We think holistically and are encouraged by a supportive leadership team.
What it is like to Work with Gusto
Here’s what you’ll do day-to-day:
- Lead the design and execution of executive compensation and equity programs to attract, retain, and motivate world class talent.
- Evaluate and enhance current programs, policies, processes, and practices to support a rapidly changing and scaling business.
- Maintain awareness of the latest trends, regulations and competitive intelligence regarding executive compensation.
- Drive the compensation planning process for executives.
- Lead equity strategy and conduct regular burn rate, overhang, and other dilution analysis.
- Prepare analysis & materials for the Compensation Committee and broader Board of Directors meetings in partnership with cross functional partners.
- Provide consultation on senior leader compensation packages (offers, promotions, retention, separation)
- Support broader priorities across Compensation, as applicable
- Develop disclosure around executive compensation for proxy statements
Here’s what we're looking for:
- 7+ years of relevant compensation experience, 4+ years of executive compensation experience designing and administering innovative plans.
- Certifications: CEP, CECP or CCP preferred
- Ability to operate at both the strategic and operational levels (i.e., strategic thinking and ability to operationalize) to drive impact
- Work independently and effectively manage projects from inception through execution
- Advanced analytical problem-solving skills and ability to draw conclusions from data in a logical systematic way; consistently prepare accurate and timely analyses
- Strong business and financial acumen, understanding tax and budget implications of compensation
- Strong analytical and quantitative skills and a track record for executing and auditing work
- Advanced Excel skills plus working knowledge Google Sheets
Our cash compensation amount for this role is targeted at $105,000 – $178,000 in Denver & most remote locations, and $128,000 – $210,000 for San Francisco & New York. Final offer amounts are determined by multiple factors including candidate experience and expertise and may vary from the amounts listed above.
Our customers come from all walks of life and so do we. We hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it's the right thing to do, but because it makes our company stronger. If you share our values and our enthusiasm for small businesses, you will find a home at Gusto.
Gusto is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate in hiring or any employment decision based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or other applicable legally protected characteristic. Gusto considers qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Gusto is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.