Gusto is seeking a Commercial Counsel to join our Product and Commercial, Legal team to support Gusto’s Infrastructure-as-a-Service products, including Gusto Embedded Payroll.
Gusto is a modern, online people platform that helps small businesses take care of their teams. On top of full-service payroll, Gusto offers health insurance, 401(k)s, expert HR, and team management tools. Today, Gusto offices in Denver, San Francisco, and New York serve more than 200,000 businesses nationwide.
Our mission is to create a world where work empowers a better life, and it starts right here at Gusto. That’s why we’re committed to building a collaborative and inclusive workplace, both physically and virtually. Learn more about our Total Rewards philosophy.
About the Role
We are seeking a Commercial Counsel to join our Product and Commercial, Legal team to support Gusto’s Infrastructure-as-a-Service products, including Gusto Embedded Payroll. Gusto’s mission is to create a world where work empowers a better life and to build a better ecosystem for small businesses and their employees. To date, Gusto’s platform has been integrated with and through partners in limited ways. Gusto Embedded Payroll allows us to bring our People Platform to thousands more businesses than those we serve directly and will play a key role in Gusto’s growth. In this newly created position, you will draft, review, and negotiate our IaaS partnership agreements, support our Business Development teams through the creation of playbooks and trainings, and otherwise advise and enable the commercial aspects of Gusto’s first-ever IaaS product. If this sounds appealing and you shine in a fast-paced environment and thrive on the success of a job well done, let’s chat!
What it is like to Work with Gusto
Here’s what you’ll do day-to-day:
- Draft, review, and negotiate strategic partnership agreements (LOIs, MSAs, and SOWs) on behalf of our Embedded Payroll business division.
- Build scalable and effective processes for deal review and negotiations, including through the creation and maintenance of playbooks and other internal resources, contract templates, and trainings.
- Identify and evaluate both business and legal risks, and find creative solutions to mitigate them while achieving business goals.
Here’s what we're looking for:
- JD degree and a member of a State Bar/active license to practice law.
- 5+ years of combined legal experience in a technology transactions department at a law firm and an in-house legal department with a high-growth technology company.
- Experience drafting and negotiating IaaS, SaaS, hosted, and enterprise agreements.
- Experience acting as a strategic partner to business and product teams.
- Experience supporting and empowering account executives throughout the commercial negotiation process.
- Excellent communicator, strong negotiator and detail oriented drafting skills
- Highly responsive, accountable, growth mindset and service-oriented attitude in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to effectively prioritize and advance several deals simultaneously, often on tight deadlines
- A team player mindset (no job is too big or too small).
- A collaborative approach and demonstrated ability to work well under pressure, cross-functionally, and independently.
- Familiarity working within the highly regulated payments or financial services industries.
- History of supporting highly regulated industries, such as financial services, payroll/tax SaaS, health care, etc.
Our cash compensation amount for this role is targeted at $153,000 – $189,000 in Denver & most remote locations, and $187,000 – $231,000 for San Francisco & New York. Final offer amounts are determined by multiple factors including candidate experience and expertise and may vary from the amounts listed above.
Our customers come from all walks of life and so do we. We hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it's the right thing to do, but because it makes our company stronger. If you share our values and our enthusiasm for small businesses, you will find a home with us.
Our company is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate in hiring or any employment decision based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or other applicable legally protected characteristic. Our company considers qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. We are also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com.