The GitLab DevOps platform empowers 100,000+ organizations to deliver software faster and more efficiently. We are one of the world’s largest all-remote companies with 2,000+ team members and values that guide a culture where people embrace the belief that everyone can contribute.
The payroll department is responsible for processing and distributing payroll in a timely and accurate manner and coordinates with external vendors including payroll processing platforms, payroll partners and PEOs and internal customers including PeopleOps, Tax, Legal and Accounting. The payroll department is responsible for reports, earnings information and other payroll data on a recurring basis as well as compliance with federal, state and local requirements.
Don’t have a ton of knowledge about GitLab yet? Don’t worry. We have an extensive onboarding and training program at GitLab and you will be provided with necessary DevOps and GitLab knowledge to fulfill your role.
What you'll do in this role
- Extends the Manager, International Payroll (EMEA, APAC, LATAM) Responsibilities
- Manage overall global operations of payroll for 65+ countries
- Leads the strategic direction for the payroll processes while meeting key controls and payroll compliance
- Manage and mentor the payroll team
- Partner with Legal, Tax, and Country conversion teams for international expansion projects
- Project manager for all payroll implementations
- Develop internal relationships and vendor partnerships to improve process efficiencies
- Develop and prioritize processes to improve the payroll experience for team members
- Ensure all operational processes are controlled from a risk perspective, and have built-in control plans and assessments to regularly review their effectiveness
- Evaluate, develop and enforce the use of audit tools which support the payroll process
- Set up payroll processes in new countries as we expand operations
- Lead significant systems and process changes in the payroll function
- Support month end close activities
- Responsible for Worker’s Compensation policies and audits locations outside of the US
- Review and analyze current payroll, benefits and tax procedures in order to recommend changes to Company policies resulting in best practices
- Oversee payroll audit process and reporting aspects of internal and external audits; identifies and resolves discrepancies
- Ensure that all monthly, quarterly and annual payroll tax filings are met; ensure all local statutory payroll and fringe benefit reporting requirements are met
- Ensure stock activity for US and international employees is properly processed and reported for employee and tax reporting purposes
- Maintain compliance with all federal, state, and local payroll tax laws
- Preparer and administrator annual tax documents for non-US entities
- Serve as a subject matter expert and point of contact for escalations and various ad hoc requests
- Special projects as assigned
- Be a role model for the team, and develop a strong sense of shared team vision
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops and reviewing professional publications
- Prepare and manage budget related to payroll programs
- Work with PeopleOps, Legal, Tax and Accounting to ensure compliance with all laws, tax reporting and other duties as needed
We're looking for
- Extends the Manager, International Payroll (EMEA, APAC, LATAM) Requirements
- 8+ years of experience as a payroll administrator.
- Experience with large payroll platforms such as ADP or Paychex
- International Payroll Certification a plus
- Ability to use GitLab
- A shared interest in our values, and working in accordance with those values
Also, we know it’s tough, but please try to avoid the confidence gap. You don’t have to match all the listed requirements exactly to be considered for this role.
The base salary range for this role’s listed level is currently $94,100-$141,100 for Colorado residents and $94,100-$141,100 for New York and New Jersey residents only. Grade level and salary ranges are determined through interviews and a review of education, experience, knowledge, skills, abilities of the applicant, equity with other team members, and alignment with market data. See more information on our benefits and equity. Sales roles are also eligible for incentive pay targeted at up to 100% of the offered base salary.
Country Hiring Guidelines: GitLab hires new team members in countries around the world. All of our roles are remote, however some roles may carry specific location-based eligibility requirements. Our Talent Acquisition team can help answer any questions about location after starting the recruiting process.
GitLab is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. GitLab’s policies and practices relating to recruitment, employment, career development and advancement, promotion, and retirement are based solely on merit, regardless of race, color, religion, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy, lactation, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression), national origin, age, citizenship, marital status, mental or physical disability, genetic information (including family medical history), discharge status from the military, protected veteran status (which includes disabled veterans, recently separated veterans, active duty wartime or campaign badge veterans, and Armed Forces service medal veterans), or any other basis protected by law. GitLab will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. See also GitLab’s EEO Policy and EEO is the Law. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know during the recruiting process.