The GitLab DevOps platform empowers 100,000+ organizations to deliver software faster and more efficiently. We are one of the world’s largest all-remote companies with 1,800+ team members and values that guide a culture where people embrace the belief that everyone can contribute.
Manager, Lead Legal Counsel
The Manager, Lead Legal Counsel, Commercial reports directly to the Director of Legal, Commercial and collaborates with external and internal clients across GitLab on a broad range of matters related to commercial contracting including the negotiation and review of complex contracts, review of regional specific legal requirements to drive templates and process, and act as a trusted advisor to internal clients
Don’t have a ton of knowledge about GitLab yet? Don’t worry. We have an extensive onboarding and training program at GitLab and you will be provided with necessary DevOps and GitLab knowledge to fulfill your role.
What you'll do in this role
- Independently manage strategic and complex legal matters with both internal and external partners
- Partner and provide leadership to team members and stakeholders across GitLab to provide pragmatic advice to minimize legal risks while advancing the goals of the business
- Benchmark, advise, draft, maintain and review templates and policies
- Monitor and analyze changes in the law and legal risks; propose creative and effective solutions to address those risks
- Review, draft and negotiate complex agreements and provide guidance and mentorship to more junior team members
- Exposure or experience with various business solutions with the skill and desire to build and improve processes, systems, and documentation both within the legal department and coordination with other impacted business units
In addition to the general Responsibilities and Requirements above, this role specifically requires the ability to:
- Draft and negotiate a wide range of contracts including partnership, services, consulting, marketing, licensing, data privacy, and other commercial and technology related agreements
- Engage on top priority and complex Agreements tied to large value and material transactions
- Review regional specific legal requirements, including with outside counsel, for terms and policy creation and enforcement
- Create and present training materials for both Contract Managers and Sales Team Members
- Understand GitLab and GitLab products in order to identify risks, develop solutions, mitigation and negotiation strategies
- Add information and feedback to playbooks and other supporting documentation to support the development of other legal team members
- Become a trusted advisor to the Sales Team Members and Leadership across multiple functions
- Work closely with members of the Legal team to develop and improve applicable standardized forms, processes, and procedures
- Perform risk analysis review for all contractual documents and recommend mitigating options
We're looking for
- 8 – 15 years' legal experience, preferably in a multinational company
- JD/LLB or local law degree equivalent and admission to local governing body
- Experience identifying and leading initiatives effectively across business units and internal functions to efficiently and proactively resolve business issues
- Successful track record of managing and/or mentoring Legal professional
- Practical yet creative problem-solving approach that emphasizes addressing business needs while protecting GitLab’s interests
- Proactive, dynamic, and result driven self starter with strong attention to detail
- Experience working across the globe in support of multiple time zones and cultures
- Outstanding interpersonal skills, the ability to influence and interface effectively with leadership across all business functions
- Sound and practical business judgment consistent with industry best-practices
- Previous experience in a remote work environment would be an added advantage
- Ability to use GitLab
- A shared interest in our values, and working in accordance with those values
Also, we know it’s tough, but please try to avoid the confidence gap. You don’t have to match all the listed requirements exactly to be considered for this role.
Country Hiring Guidelines: GitLab hires new team members in countries around the world. All of our roles are remote, however some roles may carry specific location-based eligibility requirements. Our Talent Acquisition team can help answer any questions about location after starting the recruiting process.
GitLab is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. GitLab’s policies and practices relating to recruitment, employment, career development and advancement, promotion, and retirement are based solely on merit, regardless of race, color, religion, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy, lactation, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression), national origin, age, citizenship, marital status, mental or physical disability, genetic information (including family medical history), discharge status from the military, protected veteran status (which includes disabled veterans, recently separated veterans, active duty wartime or campaign badge veterans, and Armed Forces service medal veterans), or any other basis protected by law. GitLab will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. See also GitLab’s EEO Policy and EEO is the Law. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know during the recruiting process.