The GitLab DevOps platform empowers 100,000+ organizations to deliver software faster and more efficiently. We are one of the world’s largest all-remote companies with 2,000+ team members and values that guide a culture where people embrace the belief that everyone can contribute.
The Customer Success Management (CSM) team focuses on the themes of align, enable, and expand. We align with customers' desired business outcomes, enable them on their existing use cases, and work with them to expand into additional use cases, ensuring ongoing and ever-improving customer return-on-investment.
Additionally, our team serves as liaisons between the customer and the GitLab ecosystem, streamlining collaboration with Product Management, Engineering, Sales, Professional Services, and others.
This role is focused on our Commercial (SMB and Mid-Market) business segment.
- Set the overall vision and strategic plan for the Account Management organization, focusing on driving product adoption, leading customer outcomes, and experiences, and driving growth through gross renewals and net retention improvements.
- Architect the post-sales customer experience and lifecycle by building a world-class customer success management practice and organization
- Partner with the sales, product, engineering and operations teams to deliver the best possible customer experience
- Drive customer outcomes, product adoption, and customer experience
- Influence future lifetime value through higher product adoption, customer satisfaction, and overall health scores
- Increase product adoption and drive new business growth through greater advocacy and referenceability
- Define and optimize customer lifecycle by driving programs and initiatives to improve engagement approaches based on customer segmentation and leading a culture of continuous improvement
- Develop company-wide customer success motion integrating processes, content and data to/from stakeholder organizations (e,g., Marketing, Sales, Product/Engineering, etc)
- Proven ability to develop strategies, translate them into initiatives and track successful delivery
- Build and lead world-class Customer Success Management team:
- Recruit and develop a high performing team
- Foster collaboration within the GitLab team and across customer stakeholders (i.e., technical, management and executives)
- Lead enablement and operational practices to track and improve the performance of the teams and individuals
- Work closely with the sales management and Regional Directors to align on strategies, renewal forecasting, coverage plans, and account opportunities (i.e., opportunities and risks)
- Drive account growth goals:
- Expand GitLab product and license adoption, setting up expansion opportunities
- Influence future lifetime value through higher product adoption, customer satisfaction/advocacy, and referenceability
- Be an inspirational role model by challenging and maximizing the team strengths and aligning their efforts to the mission, vision, and organizational strategy
- Address escalated customer issues with speed and urgency, orchestrating resources across the company as appropriate
- Build a world-class post-sales organization by implementing technology and processes
- This role is focused on customer success management and is not a technical support-related role.
- Demonstrated progressive management experience leading teams in a software company
- Demonstrated progressive experience leading customer success managers, account management or sales teams with team sizes of 30 people+
- Demonstrated progressive experience leading managers of customer success teams in a SaaS or subscription enterprise software company
- Knowledgeable with cloud technologies (e.g., Kubernetes, Docker), application security (SAST, DAST) and/or cloud deployment models (AWS, GCP, Azure) is a plus
- Demonstrated ability to lead managers and successfully manage global, distributed teams across cultures, lines of business, and geographies
- Possesses a strong management presence and leadership ability, with communication and interpersonal skills that inspire and motivate leaders and teams
- Demonstrated operational excellence in analytical thinking, process development, and improvement, problem-solving, communication, delegation, and planning
- Able to collaborate across the organization and with external stakeholders
- Experience successfully working with senior (C-level) executives
- Holds strong operational skills that will drive organizational efficiencies and customer satisfaction
Candidates for this position can expect the hiring process to follow the order below. Please keep in mind that candidates can be declined from the position at any stage of the process. To learn more about someone who may be conducting the interview, find their job title on our team page.
Qualified candidates will be invited to schedule a 30 minute screening call with one of our Global Recruiters.
Hiring Manager Interview
The hiring manager interview is the first of the interviews with the Customer Success Manager team. This interview is with the manager of the team the candidate is applying to join. It is a 30 minute interview.
The peer interview is conducted by an individual contributor who is a member of the team the candidate is applying to join. Peer interviewers are selected by the hiring manager. This is a 30 minute interview.
The panel interview consists of several members of the Customer Success Manager team. It typically includes the hiring manager and two other team members. This is a 60 minute interview, with the following format:
- Live demonstration based on the guidance provided ahead of the interview by the recruiter
- General discussion and questions from the panel
Conducted by the Senior Director of CSMs, this is a discussion with the candidate as a final assessment interview to evaluate the candidate's suitability for the role. This is a 30 minute interview.
Reference and Background Check
Additional details about our process can be found on our hiring page.
The base salary range for this role’s listed level is currently $147,800 – $269,200 for Colorado residents and $147,800 – $300,900 for New York and New Jersey residents only. Grade level and salary ranges are determined through interviews and a review of education, experience, knowledge, skills, abilities of the applicant, equity with other team members, and alignment with market data. See more information on our benefits and equity. Sales roles are also eligible for incentive pay targeted at up to 100% of the offered base salary.
Country Hiring Guidelines: GitLab hires new team members in countries around the world. All of our roles are remote, however some roles may carry specific location-based eligibility requirements. Our Talent Acquisition team can help answer any questions about location after starting the recruiting process.
GitLab is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. GitLab’s policies and practices relating to recruitment, employment, career development and advancement, promotion, and retirement are based solely on merit, regardless of race, color, religion, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy, lactation, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression), national origin, age, citizenship, marital status, mental or physical disability, genetic information (including family medical history), discharge status from the military, protected veteran status (which includes disabled veterans, recently separated veterans, active duty wartime or campaign badge veterans, and Armed Forces service medal veterans), or any other basis protected by law. GitLab will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. See also GitLab’s EEO Policy and EEO is the Law. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know during the recruiting process.