Manager, Payroll Operations
Finance | Remote – US
This position is not eligible for employment in the following states: Alaska, Hawaii, Maine, Mississippi, North Dakota, South Dakota, Vermont, West Virginia and Wyoming.
Our agreement with employees
DocuSign is committed to building trust and making the world more agreeable for our employees, customers, and the communities in which we live and work. You can count on us to listen, be honest, and try our best to do what’s right, every day. At DocuSign, everything is equal. We each have a responsibility to ensure every team member has an equal opportunity to succeed, to be heard, to exchange ideas openly, to build lasting relationships, and to do the work of their life. Best of all, you will be able to feel deep pride in the work you do, because your contribution helps us make the world better than we found it. And for that, you’ll be loved by us, our customers, and the world in which we live.
Our Finance team plays a critical role in ensuring accurate financial reporting, optimal financial management, and efficient operations across DocuSign. The team consists of Accounting, Financial Planning & Analysis, Revenue Operations, Investor Relations, and Business Operations. The Finance team partners across all organizations in DocuSign to appropriately allocate resources, inform key business decisions, and facilitate the execution of our operational plans.
The Payroll Manager – US is responsible for day-to-day operations, oversight and governance of the US payroll and employment tax portfolio within the Global Payroll organization. This role is also responsible for leading and fostering proactive collaboration with customers and key internal and external business partners while driving operational excellence throughout the service delivery model. The leader for this role must demonstrate and have a proven track record for pre and post payroll audits and reviews that lead to accurate and compliant payroll operations while delivering outstanding customer service. Strong background with and working knowledge of payroll regulations, labor and employment tax regulations, Federal and State Tax legislations, and applicable end-to-end activities encompassing payroll operations.
Must be able to work through ambiguity, be self-motivated with the ability to piece together facts and data necessary in order to identify issues, propose resolutions, make decisions and operationalize necessary change to improve operations and service delivery. This leader must have a strong end-to-end mindset and understanding for all payroll operations, including the up and down stream impacts to payroll and employment tax operations. A focus on continuous process improvement, through SOPs, systems, integrations, etc. is key to ensuring our tax operations remain cutting edge while our service delivery continues to delight our customer.
To be successful in this role, the Payroll Manager – US must to be a subject matter expert on wage and hour laws, payroll processing and associated compliance/regulations, Federal and State Tax legislation and regulations, with the ability to handle a large, complex payroll operation timely and accurately. This individual must be an independent thinker with the ability to work with little day-to-day direction, while providing leadership, guidance and oversight to payroll staff and internal partners regarding payroll, employment tax actions, policies, and procedures
This position is a people manager role reporting to Director, Payroll and is designated Flex.
- Organize and lead staff ensuring a fully efficient payroll operation
- Verify and maintain compliance with government payroll/tax requirements
- Keep abreast of current and changing payroll and employment tax laws
- Review and audit current processes to ensure compliance, while recommending and implementing changes where it’s needed
- Research, determine root cause, and resolve incoming tax notices from various agencies
- Work on issues of diverse scope where analysis of situation or data requires evaluation of a variety of factors, including an understanding of current business trends
- Follow processes and operational policies in selecting methods and techniques for obtaining solutions
- Acts as advisor to subordinate(s) to meet schedules and/or resolve technical problems.
- Develop and administer schedules, performance requirements
- Complete post payroll audits and reporting, prepare metrics and track errors using technology and reporting tools
- Lead the internal or external audits and review of records, worker’s compensation, tax filings, SOX, and other related documentation
- Evaluate federal, state, and local wage and hour rules, executive compensation and related impacts
- Partner closely with various organizational partners to ensure accurate GL and tax reporting
- Respond to complex payroll related inquiries from employees and/or key stakeholders
- Research and produce complex reports which may require in depth analysis
- Lead work and provide direction for transitions in mergers, acquisitions, and divestitures
- Communicate effectively with various levels of management to ensure high level of customer support and positive customer interactions
- Ensure department’s ability to meet all company deadlines and annual performance goals
- Develop, maintain, and improve payroll processes, employment tax processes, and internal controls to preserve the quality, efficiency and overall effectiveness of all payroll functions while ensuring regulatory compliance
- Manage vendors and system providers including compliance with service level agreements
- Be responsible for tracking and testing of legislative/regulatory changes, application enhancements, and system modifications
- Support execution of SOX controls as well as internal, external audits
- Manage, coach and develop team members
- Conduct ongoing training for payroll staff to ensure productivity and knowledge of overall processes are maintained and improved
- BA/BS degree or equivalent work experience
- 5+ years of experience in payroll related responsibilities
- Subject matter expert on wage and hour laws, payroll processing and associated compliance and regulations, Federal and State Tax legislation and regulations
- Experience with Excel and PC
- Experience with Google suite
- CPP/FPC certification
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills
- Proven track record of Leading payroll operations for a large, complex payroll operation timely and accurately
- Apply documented rules, past practices, or instructions on an independent level
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment even during times of ambiguity
- Demonstrated ability to hold information confidential with excellent judgment
- Understanding of payroll processing within a shared services environment
- Proficient computer, organizational, analytical, research and problem-solving skills
- Complete self-initiated training necessary to remain current on payroll practices
- Ability to learn processes quickly for more efficient and effective results
- Experience with Workday and ADP systems highly preferred
- Excellent interpersonal skills, positive attitude, flexibility, and a willingness to learn new things
- The ability to adapt to change and adjust to the business needs
- Ability to interact professionally with all levels of the organization
- 2-4 years of experience with database systems
- Strong commitment to customer service, yet able to maintain a big picture view while focusing on specific technology solutions for end-user needs
- Self-motivated to complete projects. Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Experience using a major report writing tool
- Experience using MS Excel for a variety of uses
Based on Colorado law, the following details are for Colorado individuals only: Colorado base salary range: $93,700 – $128,875 and eligible for bonus, equity and benefits.
DocuSign may require all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and provide proof of vaccination to visit a DocuSign office, to meet with potential or actual customers or business partners, or for other business-related purposes, in accordance with local law. Please note that DocuSign has contracts with different governments globally which may require compliance with local and federal laws.
DocuSign helps organizations connect and automate how they prepare, sign, act on and manage agreements. As part of the DocuSign Agreement Cloud, DocuSign offers eSignature, the world's #1 way to sign electronically on practically any device, from almost anywhere, at any time. Today, over a million customers and more than a billion users in over 180 countries use the DocuSign Agreement Cloud to accelerate the process of doing business and simplify people's lives. And we help save the world’s forests and embrace environmental sustainability.
It's important to us that we build a talented team that is as diverse as our customers and where all employees feel a deep sense of belonging and thrive. We encourage great talent who bring a range of perspectives to apply for our open positions. DocuSign is an Equal Opportunity Employer and makes hiring decisions based on experience, skill, aptitude and a can-do approach. We will not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, color, age, sex, religion, national origin, ancestry, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, physical or mental disability, registered domestic partner status, caregiver status, marital status, veteran or military status, or any other legally protected category.
DocuSign provides reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities in job application procedures, including if you have any difficulty using our online system. If you need such an accommodation, you may contact us at email@example.com.