Legal | San Francisco, CA or Seattle, WA
This position is not eligible for employment in the following states: Alaska, Hawaii, Maine, Mississippi, North Dakota, South Dakota, Vermont, West Virginia and Wyoming.
Our agreement with employees
DocuSign is committed to building trust and making the world more agree-able for our employees, customers and the communities in which we live and work. You can count on us to listen, be honest, and try our best to do what’s right, every day. At DocuSign, everything is equal. We each have a responsibility to ensure every team member has an equal opportunity to succeed, to be heard, to exchange ideas openly, to build lasting relationships, and to do the work of their life. Best of all, you will be able to feel deep pride in the work you do, because your contribution helps us make the world better than we found it. And for that, you’ll be loved by us, our customers, and the world in which we live.
The Legal team helps DocuSign achieve strategic goals, manage legal risk, and preserve the legal and ethical integrity of the company. We are regularly involved in critical, complex operations, and partner across the business to solve challenging problems to support our growth and progress globally. We focus on providing thorough analysis and offer legal advice to foster sound decision-making and ensuring compliance with legal and other relevant standards and certifications.
The Legal Counsel will be a highly qualified, team-oriented transactional attorney with substantial technology experience that will provide contracts drafting, negotiation, and management, as well as general commercial advice and regulatory compliance support, particularly with regards to customer and vendor relationships. We are looking for a high performer who is adaptable, collaborative, loves to learn and operates with a high degree of integrity. Success at DocuSign requires a roll-up your sleeves, “get it done” attitude, lots of initiative, and the ability to work in a fast-paced environment with lots of change and ambiguity. The Legal Counsel collaborates closely with all commercial facets of our organization as it expands within the US and internationally.
This position is an individual contributor role reporting to a Legal Director or Associate General and is and is designated Flex.
- Review, draft, revise, interpret, and negotiate a broad range of both inbound and outbound technology agreements, including some combination of SaaS and other technology licensing agreements, partnership agreements, vendor and work for hire contracts, consulting agreements, statements of work, nondisclosure agreements, reseller, referral and distribution agreements, SI/consulting alliances, and strategic partnerships
- Assist in management and maintenance of company’s standard contract templates that streamline the contracting process, reduce friction with customer, while mitigating risk for the company
- Assist in management of contract repository, and compliance with existing contract terms and conditions, so as to determine necessity for amendment and/or extension of contracts
- Manage and meet aggressive internal SLAs, and help juggle priorities in a fast-moving environment
- Identify and promote process-enhancement through gap analyses between existing product policies and procedures and business activities
- Train, counsel and provide guidance to management, global business units, sales/marketing teams, and other orgs
- Exceptional academic credentials and prior law firm or in-house experience
- Admitted into and in good standing with at least one state bar
- 5+ years of technology transactional experience — drafting, reviewing, negotiating, and advising on a variety of customer and inbound/outbound licensing agreements
- Proficient written and verbal communication skills
- Understanding of data privacy and data security in SaaS
- Record of business-focused decision making and counseling
- Work efficiently with a client-service focus in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Ability to maintain productive work relationships and work collaboratively with legal area specialists to resolve issues
- Ability to analyze legal risks within contracts, and know when appropriate to escalate to attorneys within the legal team or to external resources, as necessary, for further evaluation or approval
- Demonstrate good understanding of industry principles, concepts, practices and standards of contract administration
- Superior interpersonal skills with demonstrated teaming ability to work well with peers, all levels of management, and external resources in a virtual team environment
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced, high activity environment, and able to juggle many matters at once and quickly shift from one situation or task to another
- Ability to effectively collaborate cross-functionally across teams with a team attitude that no job is too big or too small
- Talent for thinking outside of the box in confronting new issues and pursuing novel approaches to old problems
- Attention to detail, yet comfortable dealing with ambiguity
- Takes initiative and accepts personal responsibility for work
- Other areas of expertise, such as privacy and security (including GDPR and CCPA), intellectual property, or HIPAA/HITECH, will be considered as highly valuable
- Strong technical skill set is a must; ability to work effectively with MS Office applications and catch on to new technologies quickly is vital to success
- Familiarity with DocuSign, SharePoint, Salesforce, Apttus, GoogleDocs, Smartsheet and other applications relevant to legal operations and contract management is considered highly valuable
DocuSign helps organizations connect and automate how they prepare, sign, act on, and manage agreements. As part of the DocuSign Agreement Cloud, DocuSign offers eSignature: the world's #1 way to sign electronically on practically any device, from almost anywhere, at any time. Today, over a million customers and hundreds of millions of users in over 180 countries use DocuSign to accelerate the process of doing business and simplify people's lives. And we help save the world’s forests and embrace environmental sustainability.
It's important to us that we build a talented team that is as diverse as our customers and where all employees feel a deep sense of belonging and thrive. We encourage great talent who bring a range of perspectives to apply for our open positions. DocuSign is an Equal Opportunity Employer and makes hiring decisions based on experience, skill, aptitude and a can-do approach. We will not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, color, age, sex, religion, national origin, ancestry, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, physical or mental disability, registered domestic partner status, caregiver status, marital status, veteran or military status, or any other legally protected category.
DocuSign provides reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities in job application procedures, including if you have any difficulty using our online system. If you need such an accommodation, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.