Legal Counsel, Sales
Legal | Seattle, WA or San Francisco, CA or Chicago, IL
This position is not eligible for employment in the following states: Alaska, Hawaii, Maine, Mississippi, North Dakota, South Dakota, Vermont, West Virginia, and Wyoming.
Our agreement with employees
DocuSign is committed to building trust and making the world more agree-able for our employees, customers and the communities in which we live and work. You can count on us to listen, be honest, and try our best to do what’s right, every day. At DocuSign, everything is equal. We each have a responsibility to ensure every team member has an equal opportunity to succeed, to be heard, to exchange ideas openly, to build lasting relationships, and to do the work of their life. Best of all, you will be able to feel deep pride in the work you do, because your contribution helps us make the world better than we found it. And for that, you’ll be loved by us, our customers, and the world in which we live.
The Legal team helps DocuSign achieve strategic goals, manage legal risk, and preserve the legal and ethical integrity of the company. We are regularly involved in critical, complex operations, and partner across the business to solve challenging problems to support our growth and progress globally. We focus on providing thorough analysis and offer legal advice to foster sound decision-making and ensuring compliance with legal and other relevant standards and certifications.
This role will provide legal support for wide variety of commercial matters supporting DocuSign’s growing Sales team and will help us build for scale. We are looking for a team-oriented transactional attorney who possesses a strong service mindset, is adaptable, collaborative, loves to learn, and is passionate about innovating the legal service delivery model.
This position is an individual contributor role reporting to a Legal Director or Associate General Counsel and is designated Flex.
- Draft and negotiate various types of commercial agreements with customers in relation to our products offerings (such as MSAs, SOWs, NDAs, amendments, and related terms)
- Prioritize and advance multiple deals happening simultaneously, often on tight deadlines
- Assist in drafting and updating our standard contract templates in a manner that streamlines our contracting process and reduces friction with customers while also mitigating risk for the company
- Lead or participate in projects to improve internal processes and increase the efficiency and scalability of commercial legal support
- Deliver training and help educate sales teams and internal business partners on best practices, processes, and other matters relevant to commercial legal support
- J.D. degree or foreign equivalent with membership in at least one US state bar
- 5+ years of technology transactional experience, particularly negotiating hosted services or SaaS Agreements, through working at a law firm or in-house legal team at a company
- Demonstrated success in similar roles in the Cloud/SaaS software and technology environment with a good understanding of industry principles, concepts, practices and standards of contract negotiation and risk management
- Excellent contract negotiating and drafting skills. Ability to analyze and negotiate legal risks within contracts and know when appropriate to escalate to others within the company, as necessary, for further evaluation or approval
- Critical and innovative thinker with excellent business sense and judgment and a track record of business-focused decision making and counseling
- Strong stakeholder management and interpersonal skills, including ability to build consensus, create momentum, work cross-functionally with other departments and varying levels of management
- Talent for thinking outside of the box in confronting new issues and pursuing novel approaches to old problems
- Knowledge of process improvement transformation of infrastructure (templates, playbooks, etc.) with prior success in defining and documenting efficient and scalable solutions
- Knowledge of the IT industry, data protection, information security, privacy, and the latest trends in commercial contracting
- Comfortable addressing data protection concerns in commercial agreements, including CCPA, GDPR, and HIPAA related terms
- Strong technical skill set is a must; ability to work effectively with MS Office applications and catch on to new technologies quickly is vital to success
- Familiarity with DocuSign services, Salesforce, Google Apps, Smartsheet, CLM solutions, and other applications relevant to legal operations and contract management is considered highly valuable
Vaccination requirement (US)
DocuSign requires all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Therefore, to ensure the safety and well being of our employees and community, to support public health efforts, and comply with the Executive Order that applies to federal contractors, this offer is conditioned upon submission of written proof, prior to your start date, that you are fully vaccinated. DocuSign will comply with applicable law regarding the reasonable accommodation of individuals with disabilities and/or sincerely held religious beliefs.
DocuSign helps organizations connect and automate how they prepare, sign, act on, and manage agreements. As part of the DocuSign Agreement Cloud, DocuSign offers eSignature: the world's #1 way to sign electronically on practically any device, from almost anywhere, at any time. Today, over a million customers and hundreds of millions of users in over 180 countries use DocuSign to accelerate the process of doing business and simplify people's lives. And we help save the world’s forests and embrace environmental sustainability.
It's important to us that we build a talented team that is as diverse as our customers and where all employees feel a deep sense of belonging and thrive. We encourage great talent who bring a range of perspectives to apply for our open positions. DocuSign is an Equal Opportunity Employer and makes hiring decisions based on experience, skill, aptitude and a can-do approach. We will not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, color, age, sex, religion, national origin, ancestry, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, physical or mental disability, registered domestic partner status, caregiver status, marital status, veteran or military status, or any other legally protected category.
DocuSign provides reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities in job application procedures, including if you have any difficulty using our online system. If you need such an accommodation, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.