Coursera can hire people in any country where we have a legal entity, assuming candidates have eligible working rights and a sufficient timezone overlap with their team. Our interviews and onboarding are conducted virtually, a part of being a remote-first company.
Coursera was launched in 2012 by two Stanford Computer Science professors, Andrew Ng and Daphne Koller, with a mission to provide universal access to world-class learning. It is now one of the largest online learning platforms in the world, with 102 million registered learners as of March 31, 2022. Coursera partners with over 250 leading university and industry partners to offer a broad catalog of content and credentials, including courses, Specializations, Professional Certificates, Guided Projects, and bachelor’s and master’s degrees. Institutions around the world use Coursera to upskill and reskill their employees, citizens, and students in fields such as data science, technology, and business. Coursera became a B Corp in February 2021.
Financial management is crucial to the performance and success of any company. The roles and responsibilities of the Coursera Finance team include accounting, financial reporting, analysis, planning, budgeting, and compliance. Problem solvers at heart, this team works to fuel Coursera’s growth by developing creative solutions in response to accounting and finance challenges.
Coursera is seeking a Senior Accountant to join our growing Finance team. The Senior Accountant will be responsible for general ledger functions, including month end close, journal entries, reconciliations, and flux analysis. The ideal candidate will be a detail-oriented professional who multi-tasks well and can handle shifting priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- Perform month-end close activities, including preparing journal entries and account reconciliations in areas such as marketable securities, accruals, content costs, and internal-use software
- Contribute to our monthly flux analysis and provide variance analysis for expense accounts, as well as perform analytical review of the quarterly Balance Sheet and Income Statement
- Develop systems and processes to optimize scalability, efficiency and standardization
- Assist in documentation of internal controls and ensure SOX compliance in areas of responsibility
- Collaborate with external auditors and prepare audit work papers as requested
- Assist with other projects as assigned
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting or related area of study
- 4+ years of related experience in a similar role
- Demonstrated knowledge of US GAAP
- Experience working in a Financial ERP system
- Advanced Excel skills
- CPA license and experience in a growing SaaS company a plus
- Experience with Netsuite
- Demonstrable problem-solving skills and a high level of attention to detail
- Able to work both independently, cross-functionally and collaboratively
- Organized and ability to work in a fast paced and deadline driven environment
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Values collaboration and contributing to the shared goals and success of the team and company
If this opportunity interests you, you might like these courses on Coursera:
- Business Statistics and Analysis
- Excel Skills for Business Specialization
- Introduction to Financial Accounting: The Accounting Cycle Specialization