At Cloudflare, we have our eyes set on an ambitious goal: to help build a better Internet. Today the company runs one of the world’s largest networks that powers approximately 25 million Internet properties, for customers ranging from individual bloggers to SMBs to Fortune 500 companies. Cloudflare protects and accelerates any Internet application online without adding hardware, installing software, or changing a line of code. Internet properties powered by Cloudflare all have web traffic routed through its intelligent global network, which gets smarter with every request. As a result, they see significant improvement in performance and a decrease in spam and other attacks. Cloudflare was named to Entrepreneur Magazine’s Top Company Cultures list and ranked among the World’s Most Innovative Companies by Fast Company.
We realize people do not fit into neat boxes. We are looking for curious and empathetic individuals who are committed to developing themselves and learning new skills, and we are ready to help you do that. We cannot complete our mission without building a diverse and inclusive team. We hire the best people based on an evaluation of their potential and support them throughout their time at Cloudflare. Come join us!
What you'll do
Cloudflare is looking for a lawyer to join our Legal team and support our Trust & Safety team. With a substantial portion of the Internet sitting behind Cloudflare’s network, our Trust & Safety team has a big job. In addition to handling reports of abuse on websites using our various services, Trust & Safety also is primarily responsible for responding to law enforcement and other legal requests for customer information. In performing these functions, our Trust & Safety team takes a context-specific approach that recognizes the complexity of the Internet and prioritizes our customers’ privacy, due process requirements, and transparency.
As a lawyer supporting our Trust & Safety team, you will provide legal guidance in refining and implementing our systems for responding to legal requests for information, and in handling reports of abuse on websites using our services. The ideal candidate is comfortable confronting novel legal issues in a fast paced environment, while never losing sight of Cloudflare’s core principles. We’re looking for a self-starter who is enthusiastic to work as part of a great team building systems that must scale with a quickly growing company . As part of the job, you will:
- Work with the Trust & Safety, Policy, and Legal teams to help further develop Cloudflare’s policies and procedures for responding to legal requests for information.
- Assist the Trust & Safety team with daily responses to legal requests to ensure proper implementation of our policies and identify edge cases that need closer consideration.
- Communicate with domestic and foreign law enforcement and civil litigants as necessary, and work with Cloudflare’s litigation team in opposing unlawful requests in court.
- Work with the Trust & Safety team to further develop playbooks for addressing reports of abuse on Cloudflare’s platform, taking into account differences among the various services Cloudflare offers.
- Assist the Trust & Safety team in identifying abuse reports raising novel issues, and coordinate across the Legal and Policy teams on responses.
- Work with our product and engineering teams to understand and proactively address new products from a Trust & Safety perspective.
- Work with the Policy and Trust & Safety teams on communicating to the public about our approach, including through Cloudflare’s regular transparency reports.
The above list is representative and additional responsibilities may be assigned, as required.
Examples of desirable skills, knowledge and experience
- JD degree with strong academic credentials and admitted to practice law in at least one U.S. jurisdiction.
- 5+ years of law firm, government, or in-house experience (preferably with technology companies).
- Strong communication skills and cooperative team player. Lead with empathy and understanding while embracing diverse points of view. Flexibility to adapt and thrive in a fast paced environment.
- Ability to work cross-functionally, with lawyers and non-lawyers, to establish principled, thoughtful, and effective solutions efficiently and in an amenable manner.
- Ability to organize, prioritize, and manage many tasks on complex projects.
- An ambitious mindset that enables you to successfully work independently with little guidance, but also to use good judgment and call out issues when needed.
What Makes Cloudflare Special?
We’re not just a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company. We’re a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company with a soul. Fundamental to our mission to help build a better Internet is protecting the free and open Internet.
Project Galileo: We equip politically and artistically important organizations and journalists with powerful tools to defend themselves against attacks that would otherwise censor their work, technology already used by Cloudflare’s enterprise customers–at no cost.
Athenian Project: We created Athenian Project to ensure that state and local governments have the highest level of protection and reliability for free, so that their constituents have access to election information and voter registration.
Path Forward Partnership: Since 2016, we have partnered with Path Forward, a nonprofit organization, to create 16-week positions for mid-career professionals who want to get back to the workplace after taking time off to care for a child, parent, or loved one.
18.104.22.168: We released 22.214.171.124 to help fix the foundation of the Internet by building a faster, more secure and privacy-centric public DNS resolver. This is available publicly for everyone to use – it is the first consumer-focused service Cloudflare has ever released. Here’s the deal – we don’t store client IP addresses never, ever. We will continue to abide by our privacy commitment and ensure that no user data is sold to advertisers or used to target consumers.
Sound like something you’d like to be a part of? We’d love to hear from you!
This position may require access to information protected under U.S. export control laws, including the U.S. Export Administration Regulations. Please note that any offer of employment may be conditioned on your authorization to receive software or technology controlled under these U.S. export laws without sponsorship for an export license.
Cloudflare is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all people and place great value in both diversity and inclusiveness. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to their, or any other person's, perceived or actual race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, or any other basis protected by law. We are an AA/Veterans/Disabled Employer.
Cloudflare provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job. Examples of reasonable accommodations include, but are not limited to, changing the application process, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. If you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job, please contact us via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or via mail at 101 Townsend St. San Francisco, CA 94107.