At Cloudflare, we have our eyes set on an ambitious goal: to help build a better Internet. Today the company runs one of the world’s largest networks that powers approximately 25 million Internet properties, for customers ranging from individual bloggers to SMBs to Fortune 500 companies. Cloudflare protects and accelerates any Internet application online without adding hardware, installing software, or changing a line of code. Internet properties powered by Cloudflare all have web traffic routed through its intelligent global network, which gets smarter with every request. As a result, they see significant improvement in performance and a decrease in spam and other attacks. Cloudflare was named to Entrepreneur Magazine’s Top Company Cultures list and ranked among the World’s Most Innovative Companies by Fast Company.
We realize people do not fit into neat boxes. We are looking for curious and empathetic individuals who are committed to developing themselves and learning new skills, and we are ready to help you do that. We cannot complete our mission without building a diverse and inclusive team. We hire the best people based on an evaluation of their potential and support them throughout their time at Cloudflare. Come join us!
What you'll do
You will lead a small, but growing, regional team of legal professionals responsible for drafting, reviewing, and negotiating complex commercial contracts with Cloudflare’s customers and partners. As the most senior attorney in the APJC region you will primarily support the sales function at Cloudflare, however, you may also be called upon to work closely with local and international colleagues to provide effective, business-focused, day-to-day advice on a broad range of issues to internal stakeholders.
This role is for someone who is a proactive self-starter who is not afraid to swim outside of their swim lane, all while working as part of a great team. You must be intellectually curious, open-minded, adaptable, comfortable with ambiguity and risk, and excited by dynamic change.
Examples of desirable skills, knowledge and experience
- 10+ years PQE, with at least 2 years of experience working for an internationally recognized law firm and 2 years working as in-house legal counsel for a technology company (either on secondment or after leaving the law firm)
- 2+ years of experience managing attorneys or other legal professionals
- Admitted to practice law in Singapore, UK, US, or Australia
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and the ability to communicate and draft fluently in English
- Empathetic manager who is able to empower team members to achieve at a consistently high level while building trusted relationships
- Substantive experience in drafting and negotiating complex commercial agreements, including SaaS, licensing, consulting, joint development and reseller/distributor agreements
- Experience in counseling clients on a broad range of legal matters such as corporate, employment, and compliance legal matters.
- Strong knowledge of key legal concepts and levers in negotiations
- Ability to identify and explain non-standard terms and associated risks to relevant business stakeholders and interpret contract requirements, obligations and risk exposure and advise on same
- Solid understanding of local and international privacy and data protection laws
- Ability to manage competing demands and deal with non-standard and often unstructured requests, at short notice
- Ability to work in an international team, with attorneys and non-attorneys, to establish effective solutions efficiently and in an amenable manner
- Strategic thinker with a verifiable history of providing sound and practical advice
- Ability to translate complex technical concepts into easy to grasp terms for non-techies
- Ability to partner with internal stakeholders to deliver continuous improvement of Cloudflare’s legal processes, with an emphasis on efficiency and scalability
- Fluency in Mandarin Chinese, Japanese, or Korean
- Substantive knowledge in regional privacy regimes
What Makes Cloudflare Special?
We’re not just a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company. We’re a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company with a soul. Fundamental to our mission to help build a better Internet is protecting the free and open Internet.
Project Galileo: We equip politically and artistically important organizations and journalists with powerful tools to defend themselves against attacks that would otherwise censor their work, technology already used by Cloudflare’s enterprise customers–at no cost.
Athenian Project: We created Athenian Project to ensure that state and local governments have the highest level of protection and reliability for free, so that their constituents have access to election information and voter registration.
Path Forward Partnership: Since 2016, we have partnered with Path Forward, a nonprofit organization, to create 16-week positions for mid-career professionals who want to get back to the workplace after taking time off to care for a child, parent, or loved one.
184.108.40.206: We released 220.127.116.11 to help fix the foundation of the Internet by building a faster, more secure and privacy-centric public DNS resolver. This is available publicly for everyone to use – it is the first consumer-focused service Cloudflare has ever released. Here’s the deal – we don’t store client IP addresses never, ever. We will continue to abide by our privacy commitment and ensure that no user data is sold to advertisers or used to target consumers.
Sound like something you’d like to be a part of? We’d love to hear from you!
This position may require access to information protected under U.S. export control laws, including the U.S. Export Administration Regulations. Please note that any offer of employment may be conditioned on your authorization to receive software or technology controlled under these U.S. export laws without sponsorship for an export license.
Cloudflare is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all people and place great value in both diversity and inclusiveness. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to their, or any other person's, perceived or actual race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, or any other basis protected by law. We are an AA/Veterans/Disabled Employer.
Cloudflare provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job. Examples of reasonable accommodations include, but are not limited to, changing the application process, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. If you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job, please contact us via e-mail at email@example.com or via mail at 101 Townsend St. San Francisco, CA 94107.