The Company You’ll Join
At Carta we create owners and make private markets liquid.
We live in a world where some people live on the equity stack and enjoy exponential wealth growth and preferential tax treatment; others live on the debt stack and may work their entire lives for a company and retire only with the cash they’ve managed to save from their paychecks. Our contribution to solving the wealth inequality problem is moving people from the debt stack (payroll) to the equity stack. By making it as easy to issue equity to employees as it is to put them on payroll, we can create more owners.
At Carta, we are helpful, transparent, fair, and kind. We are relentless executors, unconventional thinkers, and masters of our craft.
Learn more about our Series G fundraising round here.
The Team You’ll Work With
The Carta Tax Advisor Team operates as a “startup within a startup”. Working with the tax team feels like working at an early-stage startup but with the advantage of having a late-stage startup available for any resources or support you may need. Here’s a blog post by our CEO announcing the tax product.
You’ll join a small, cross functional team as a Senior Software Engineer. Day-to-day you’ll have opportunities to partner closely with other engineers, product managers, and business leaders. We believe in smaller teams to allow for greater focus and have an immense amount of ownership over the problems that we solve. We have a strong collaborative relationship between Product and Engineering. Being helpful is ingrained in our culture.
The Problems You’ll Solve
As a Senior Software Engineer on the Carta Tax Advisor Team, you are primarily responsible for designing, building, and maintaining both the front and backend systems as well as the tax engine. You'll also ensure your code follows best practices around security and design principles.
The initial primary functions of the role will be to integrate with the IRS Modern eFile system (MeF), design and build a user friendly tax filing data collection system (similar to the TurboTax interview), and to build and maintain the backend services and APIs used by the Carta Tax Advisor frontend team.
Some of the problems you could be solving include:
- Build and use production-deployed APIs supporting Carta Tax Advisor's technical products
- Integrate with third party services through a variety of APIs through official REST endpoints as well as screen scraping for services that don't provide an API
- Collect technical, product, and design requirements for current and future projects
- Work with design, product, and business functions on new projects and efforts
You have strong technical skills, are excited by projects that create scale, and enjoy working closely with stakeholders across engineering as well as product. You continually strive to improve your craft of creating complex software products. You see communication as one of your strengths.
You have 5+ years of full-stack or backend engineering experience, and experience architecting complex SaaS products and microservices. You have industry experience developing scalable production quality backend systems. You have experience mentoring junior developers.
We use Python and Django Rest Framework to build backend services, and Vue.js in the frontend. We’re deployed serverless on AWS Lambda.
Other required skills:
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Experience building and maintaining a complex set of systems
- Experience working with product leads to deliver on time and on target
- Experience working with SQL or other data storage systems, like ORM, NoSQL, or others
- Experience integrating third party APIs
Helpful experiences and backgrounds:
- Django, or other Python web frameworks such as Flask
- Heroku, AWS, or GCP
- Serverless technologies such as AWS Lambda
- Testing automation (CI/CD)