The Company You’ll Join
At Carta we create owners and make private markets liquid.
We live in a world where some people live on the equity stack and enjoy exponential wealth growth and preferential tax treatment; others live on the debt stack and may work their entire lives for a company and retire only with the cash they’ve managed to save from their paychecks. Our contribution to solving the wealth inequality problem is moving people from the debt stack (payroll) to the equity stack. By making it as easy to issue equity to employees as it is to put them on payroll, we can create more owners.
At Carta, we are helpful, transparent, fair, and kind. We are relentless executors, unconventional thinkers, and masters of our craft.
Learn more about our Series G fundraising round here.
On the Investor Services team, we’re building the operating system for Venture Capital. After finding product market fit with our Fund Administration product and service in 2018, the business has taken off. This year we will cross $100 in ARR for the Investor Services business. Now we are helping customers and their stakeholders extract value from Carta’s products and services. To do this, we build workflows between our services team, fund managers, and Limited Partners. These workflows will feed into a data platform where we can build reporting and insights. And finally we create delightful experiences on top of this data that solve VC “jobs to be done.”
We are hiring a product leader to head our Investor Experiences team which is one of two main pillars within the Investor Services R&D team. You will report to the VP of Product for Investor Services.
The Problems You’ll Solve
As the Group Product Manager for this problem area, you will build and nurture the product team. You will drive product strategy and the roadmap for a team of 15+ engineers and 3+ designers.
There are four distinct problem teams that fall under the oversight of this team:
- Firm Management: How do we help customers manage firm operations? How do we bring more communication between clients and fund admins into the application? How do we communicate the status and progress of tasks betweens clients and Carta? How do we make the firm portfolio easy to navigate?
- Investor Relations: How do we help customers manage and communicate with their LPs? How do we help LPs stay informed about firm performance and operations? How do help with fundraising activities?
- Limited Partner Experience: How do we help LPs get differentiated value from their Carta experience? How do we solve for LP jobs to be done? How do we get LPs to recommend Carta to their funds?
- Investment Management (to be built): How do we help GPs manage their portfolios? What insights can help GPs make good decisions about investments. How do we accelerate the Company<>VC flywheel?
In short you own the investor experience for GPs and LPs regardless of what product they have bought. Some of your northstars are:
- Support Tickets/Month Active User – measures client friction
- GP and LP NPS – measure client delight
- LP referrals – measures the strength of the GP<>LP flywheel
If you succeed you will play a role in revolutionizing the Venture ecosystem and beyond.
The Team You’ll Work With
You will be on the Investor Services R&D team. We are a loony, yet passionate bunch. We dream about changing the world by building the platform for VC and PE. We care deeply about our customers – emerging managers and other GPs, LPs, fund administrators, and tax/audit professionals. We are relentless in our pursuit to create value for them. We do so by deeply understanding the domain and their jobs to be done. We listen to them obsessively and work incrementally to change their worlds.
We run towards hard and messy problems. We serve the business, first and foremost, and invest in ourselves and each other in service of that effort. We are owners and that is the only title that matters.
We take our work seriously, but are not too serious. We take equal pride in solving complex business problems like automating allocation calculations, as we do contributing to our Slack emoji portfolio. The work other people find boring, we make fun because of our perspective. We don’t just manage our bug backlog, we take pride in keeping it near 0. Every time we clear the backlog, we celebrate by sporting mustaches.
- You are an org builder, a mentor, and seasoned people manager and leader. You understand that leadership is responsibility. Directing people’s time is a right you earn through your work and not a default based on your title.
- You operate based on first principles. When org building you can scale through process or culture, and you default to the later. You value and model critical thinking over box checking.
- You are empathic and driven by solving problems for your users. You have the ability to dig deep into their problems and really understand what drives them.
- You are a systems thinker and solve problems in a holistic way. You draw data flow diagrams in your sleep and complexity makes you salivate.
- You traverse between altitudes with ease. You can think big picture on product strategy in one moment and then get in the trenches with your team to solve a P0 issue in the next.
- You are resourceful and scrappy in the right ways. You know when to invest versus stand-up fake doors to validate a hypothesis. You understand that sometimes the best path forward may not be through building software.
- You can navigate ambiguity while bringing clarity to the makers.
We are an equal opportunity employer and are committed to providing a positive interview experience for every candidate. If accommodations due to a disability or medical condition are needed, connect with us via email at email@example.com. As a company, we value fairness, helpfulness, transparency, leadership and build our teams around these values. Check out our careers page to get to know us better as you think about your next step at Carta.