The Company You’ll Join
At Carta we create owners and make private markets liquid.
We live in a world where some people live on the equity stack and enjoy exponential wealth growth and preferential tax treatment; others live on the debt stack and may work their entire lives for a company and retire only with the cash they’ve managed to save from their paychecks. Our contribution to solving the wealth inequality problem is moving people from the debt stack (payroll) to the equity stack. By making it as easy to issue equity to employees as it is to put them on payroll, we can create more owners.
At Carta, we are helpful, transparent, fair, and kind. We are relentless executors, unconventional thinkers, and masters of our craft.
Learn more about our Series G fundraising round here.
The Team and Role
The Liquidity team is looking for creative problem solvers to work on a greenfield initiative to build a marketplace for private securities, CartaX.
The mission of Equity Capital Markets team within CartaX is to bring institutional investors and listed companies together to drive liquidity and build strategic capital relationships. We aim to become a trusted source of information and advice as we help companies facilitate liquidity and lead deal execution by offering insights and targeted access to a strategic investor base. As the Director, ECM on the Liquidity team at Carta, you’ll be responsible for influencing products and services for and engaging with issuers and investors on CartaX, an issuer centric electronic trading platform offering tailored liquidity programs for privately held companies, funds, and other fractional assets.
Specifically, you will be responsible for ongoing relationship management with listing prospects and listed companies, while partnering with our issuer sales and investor coverage teams to advise market participants regarding CartaX offerings. The ideal candidate has experience originating transactions and advising companies on transactional matters, including positioning, investor targeting, tax, valuation, and accounting implications of secondary transactions for private companies. You can build and customize financial and transactional models for valuation and deal structuring purposes. The individual in this position will partner closely with our issuer sales and investor coverage team to lead the preparation and delivery of presentations to internal and external stakeholders, including management, financial advisors, outside counsel, and auditors in the context of advising, interpreting, and applying the CartaX liquidity tiers and transactional model. The individual will also work directly with CartaX listed companies and prospects to understand their capital markets needs, and advise on the various ways CartaX can assist the business as a private or public company. The individual will work within a dynamic and cohesive team that spans across product, business, compliance, and technology.
Problems You'll Solve
- Origination, structuring and execution of secondary transactions in partnership with cross-functional deal teams.
- Drive the preparation, review, and delivery of memoranda and management presentations for private company executive teams regarding CartaX offerings and solutions.
- Oversee the development of various models for secondary transactions for private companies that optimize tax, valuation, and accounting impact.
- Evaluate issuer business models and investment profiles, and advise on market positioning and how to optimize transaction outcomes.
- Perform various valuation methods: comparable companies, precedents, etc., as part of deal structuring and analysis.
- Develop recommendations for product offerings, including new transaction structures, market insights, and investor relations.
- Perform diligence, research, analysis, and documentation of transactions to propose new listing criteria.
- Play an active role and drive the execution of mandated deals.
- Affinity for current events, critical issues, and relevant news.
- 7+ years of experience in a finance or business background, particularly on the quantitative side, with experience in capital markets advisory and/or Investment Banking.
- Working knowledge of corporate governance matters.
- Expertise in fundamental analysis.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, team-based environment with minimal supervision.
- Expert knowledge of deal structuring and closing principals.
- Strong communication and networking skills.
- Impeccable research, quantitative and analytical skills, especially in explaining market events.
- Strong modeling skills.
- Ability to organize and track overlapping tasks and assignments, with frequent priority changes.
- Series 7 and 24 a plus
- Specialization in Technology/Tech-enabled sectors