Canva’s Commitment and Mission
At Canva, we celebrate diversity. We deeply believe that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key to building the best product, team and company. We look for many different skills and abilities, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. So, even if you don’t think you quite meet all of the skills listed or tick all the boxes, we’d still love to hear from you!
Our mission at Canva is to empower the world to design and since launching in 2013, we have grown exponentially, amassing over 100+ million monthly active users across 190 different countries and a team of over 3,000 people… and the best bit is that we’ve only achieved 1% of what we know we’re capable of.
Join us and design your future.
About the team
Canva is seeking an Employment Lawyer to contribute to the continued growth and success of our organisation. Along with business as usual activities, this role will be a key partner to the People function and there are so many crazy big goals for this person to immediately be able to make an impact. Reporting to the Head of Employment Legal, Global, you will be an influential team member with an entrepreneurial mindset.
If you’re an employment lawyer who thrives in a fast-paced and often unstructured environment, this is your opportunity!
Given the time of year, applicants for this opportunity will be reviewed mid-January, we appreciate your patience in the meantime.
What you’ll do
Provide pragmatic advice and solutions to key stakeholders, including Talent Acquisition, People Operations, People Partners and the broader business on all aspects of the employment lifecycle
Understand, interpret and apply current laws applicable to Canva’s workforce as well as identifying what’s coming around the corner
Help build and implement scalable, world-class employment policies and programs that balance legal risk with business impact
We’d love it if you had
Proven experience in employment law, ideally with in-house experience
Qualified to practice law (c.5 years PQE) in either Australia or an equivalent jurisdiction
Capable of working both autonomously and collaboratively, you will be effective at juggling and multiple competing tasks in a fast-paced environment
Excellent technical ability and proven experience partnering with or advising HR teams and other key stakeholders on a broad range of employment and ER/IR matters
A skilled communicator and you have confidence and experience translating complicated legal concepts into practical solutions to guide stakeholders
Working at Canva
Our culture is unlike anywhere else and we design your #CanvaLife experience to empower you to do the best work of your life.
Whether you’re in the office, working from home or choosing your own adventure, our benefits for permanent Canvanauts include:
• Equity packages for you to truly be a part of the Canva journey.
• We have a hybrid work model (in-office & from home), with our offices are always open to you balancing flexibility and connection
• Flexible leave so you can recharge, give back, support others or focus on your own professional development.
• Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents and carers throughout their parenting and caring journey.
• An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance. This is for you to spend on whatever will support your wellbeing and development.. because you know what you need to Vibe and Thrive, better than anyone.
• Virtual and in-office wellness benefits including Canva University, Employee Assistant Programs and Fitness & Meditation Classes.
• Canva For Good program matching your not-for-profit donations, Force for Good leave (3 paid volunteering days) and a range of sustainability and ethical initiatives to get involved in.
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion. Please note that interviews are conducted virtually. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.