Canva’s Commitment and Mission
At Canva, we celebrate diversity. We deeply believe that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key to building the best product, team and company. We look for many different skills and abilities, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. So, even if you don’t think you quite meet all of the skills listed or tick all the boxes, we’d still love to hear from you!
Our mission at Canva is to empower the world to design and since launching in 2013, we have grown exponentially, amassing over 86 million monthly active users across 190 different countries and a team of over 3,000 people… and the best bit is that we’ve only achieved 1% of what we know we’re capable of.
Join us and design your future.
About the role
Canva is looking for an experienced employment lawyer to be part of our highly motivated, tightly knit, and collaborative global legal team. Reporting to the Head of Employment Legal (based in Australia), this role will provide support to both our employee and contingent workforce in the Philippines and be the point of contact across Asia.
If you’re someone who has the ability to deal with issues outside your experience and can learn quickly in a fast-paced and often unstructured environment, this is your opportunity!
What you’ll do:
Advise on day-to-day employment related matters throughout Canva’s employee and contingent workforce in the Philippines
Advise on the full spectrum of employment legal issues, including grievance, disciplinary, attendance and performance management matters
Liaise with external counsel and work closely and collaboratively with key stakeholders including the People Team (aka HR), Total Rewards, Tax, Finance, Operations and other parts of the Canva Group as required
Draft and negotiate employment-related agreements, including severance agreements
Develop and maintain internal resources / templates for the local team and collaborate on global resources, including creation of playbooks
Lead complex and time sensitive projects and coordinate internal stakeholders and external advisors
Contribute to the development, implementation and review of workplace policies, processes, guidance and templates
Support Canva-wide learning initiatives including to deliver training on employment-related topics, taking account of changes to local law, best practices and Canva’s values and culture
What we’re looking for:
You have 5+ years experience in employment law gained within a respected law firm or in-house at a multinational company
You’ll be fluent in English (verbally and in writing)
You have a strong technical background and hands on experience partnering with or advising HR teams and other key stakeholders at international organisations on a broad range of employment matters
You have a sound understanding of all aspects of employment law in the Philippines and an ability to apply that knowledge pragmatically in a commercial environment
Excellent communicator with confidence and experience navigating complex and highly sensitive workplace issues
You are risk aware, not risk averse
We’d love if you have:
Experience advising on employment matters across China and Singapore (although candidates without direct experience in these countries are encouraged to apply)
Hands on in-house experience at a rapidly growing international technology company
Working at Canva
Our culture is unlike anywhere else and we design your #CanvaLife experience to empower you to do the best work of your life.
Whether you’re in the office, working from home or choosing your own adventure, our benefits for permanent Canvanauts include:
• A temporary work from home setup as we prepare to provide a safe environment for Canvanauts who would like to work in the office. Our Future of Work plan is to move towards a hybrid work model (in-office & from home) You and your team can determine your ideal work setup. Whichever works best for you, #KayaSaCanva.
• Unique and flexible leaves options: :Recharge and go on your next getaway or simply take time off for yourself through our Vacation Leave, Give back through our Volunteer Leave to help out a charity or NGO of choiceSupport yourself or take care of your loved ones (even your furbabies) through our Sick or Carer’s Leave
• Focus on your own growth and development through our Professional Educational Leave
• An annual Vibe & Thrive allowances for you to spend on anything that supports your wellbeing. Whether it’s a workshop, an electronic stand-up desk, a gym membership, or dinner with a teammate, we encourage you to do what you need to do in order to thrive.
• Virtual and in-office wellness and development benefits including Canva University, Employee Assistance Programs, Fitness Classes and more to support your physical, mental, and social wellbeing.
• Canva For Good program that matches your not-for-profit donations and a range of sustainability and ethical initiatives to get involved in.
• A variety of Canva clubs that you can join to connect you to fellow Canvanauts with similar interests. From cycling, skincare, pets, to foodies (and the list goes on), we got you covered! Club activities can also be done remotely or in person.
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion. Please note that interviews are conducted virtually. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.