- Full Time
Salary: $77,004.00 – $84,900.00 Annually
Job Type: Full Time
Job Number: FY2223-00177
Location: Cuesta College – San Luis Obispo Campus, CA
Department: Administrative Services
Closing: 4/9/2023 11:59 PM Pacific
Job Description Summary
Under general direction of Supervisor, Technology Services, performs design, implementation, and management of servers and network infrastructure. Provides technical guidance on the design and development of technology proposals.
Incumbents in this position support student learning outcomes and institutional effectiveness by providing network and server resources that are appropriate and adequate to support the institution’s management and operational functions, academic programs, teaching and learning, and support services.
Incumbents are distinguished from other classes in that incumbents are required to have knowledge of and experience with both network infrastructure and servers (Windows and/or Linux/UNIX). Identity management, security and data protection are important aspects of the position.
Incumbent will, at times, lead projects and serve in the role of project manager.
ABOUT THE COLLEGE
Where You Will Work
Serving all of San Luis Obispo County, Cuesta College has provided comprehensive associate degree offerings, certificates, and community programs to the region since 1964. The main campus is located along scenic highway 1, west of San Luis Obispo and east of the beaches of the Pacific Ocean. Cuesta College has a North County Campus in Paso Robles, and South County Center, in Arroyo Grande.
Who We Are
Equity, diversity, and inclusion are essential to our culture and the work we do. Cuesta College is proud to be a designated Hispanic-Serving Institution (HSI) committed to racial and socio-economic diversity as it reflects our communities and student populations. We actively seek to attract candidates who share this commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion. As part of the Cuesta College team, you can expect to be part of a collaborative community of faculty, classified professionals, administrators, students, and community partners advancing educational excellence with intentional support services leading to student success and completion.
Additional information about the college can be found at
The college planning documents can be found at
Our Student Equity Action Plan can be found at
We offer comprehensive benefit options. Information about benefits can be found at
Essential Functions & Qualifications
- Deploy, maintain, document, and manage servers (Linux/UNIX and Windows Server), virtualization infrastructure, wired and wireless network devices, storage, and all supporting infrastructure
- Design, document, implement, and test disaster recovery plans for database systems, data storage systems, and supporting infrastructure
- Identity management including LDAP/AD directories, RADIUS and federation
- Design, document, and implement automated systems and procedures for testing and deploying patches for operating systems and third-party software (Windows and Unix/Linux)
- Configuration management of all system, device, and application configuration using SVN/Git, Puppet, or Microsoft Group Policy, as applicable
- Maintain system and network security through router ACLs, firewalls, load balancer ACLs, VPN policies, network and host based intrusion detection systems, host and service hardening, antivirus
- Proactive monitoring of servers, services, network devices, and supporting infrastructure
- Respond to network outages
- Perform and document a root cause analysis of any issues
- Perform other related duties as required
- Associate degree in technology related field or any combination equivalent
- Bachelor’s degree in a technology related field
- Three years experience as a system administrator for Windows servers and/or Linux/UNIX servers and applications. Some experience with enterprise networking hardware.
- Three years experience with enterprise networking hardware.
- One or more of the following operating systems: GNU/Linux, Windows Server, or any other UNIX (BSDs, Solaris, etc.)
- Network routers, switches, firewalls and VPNs
- Commonly used network protocols sufficient for troubleshooting issues
- Tools and techniques such as analyzing network packet captures, tracing utilities/debuggers, and/or resource monitoring tools to diagnose issues
- Scripting language applicable to your preferred OS platform (Bourne shell for Linux/Unix or PowerShell for Windows Server)
- Server virtualization technology (VMWare ESX preferred)
- Protocols and tools for identity federation with SaaS providers
- Load balancers, fiber channel switches, packet shapers, and wireless controllers
- Correct usage of English, grammar, spelling, punctuation, and vocabulary
- District policies and procedures
- Adapt to new technology
- Establish and maintain professionally cooperative working relationships with those contacted in the performance of duties
- Demonstrate a sensitivity to and an understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds of staff and students and of staff and students with physical and learning disabilities
Physical ability to:
- Read and comprehend printed matter and text and data on computer monitors
- Communicate intelligibly and effectively via speech, telephone, written correspondence, and/or email
- Sit or stand for extended periods of time
- Lift and/or carry 50 pounds
- Exert manual dexterity sufficient for keyboard and other office equipment operation
License and Certificates (current within the last year or must be continuously current):
- Valid driver’s license and eligible to obtain California driver’s license upon hire.
REQUIRED DOCUMENTS TO APPLY
Candidates will be required to submit ALL of the required documents below when applying for this position. When uploading documents, PDF uploads are preferred.
- Cover letter;
- Reference List (see further instructions below);
- Diversity statement (see further instructions below).
Diversity Statement Instructions: Cuesta College is committed to building and maintaining a workforce that reflects and honors the diversity of our students. It is important to us that our faculty, staff, and administrators demonstrate an understanding of, sensitivity to, and respect for the diverse academic, socioeconomic, ethnic, and religious backgrounds as well as sexual orientation and abilities of all constituents in the Cuesta College community.
In 500 words or less, with consideration to our Mission Statement and our values expressed above, please explain how you will demonstrate your commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion in this position.
Reference List Instructions: Your reference list must include three professional references, their contact information, and their relationship to you.
Completed online applications and all supporting documents must be submitted by the closing date for this position. LATE, INCOMPLETE, FAXED, MAILED OR EMAILED APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
Below is the full salary schedule range for this position, steps A through E. Per Cuesta College’s bargaining agreement, new employees are placed at Steps A through C, which is the anticipated hiring range also listed below. The bargaining agreement also includes step and longevity increases. For a full salary schedule, please see our website:
- Salary Schedule Range: $6,417 – $7,800 per month.
- Anticipated Hiring Range: $6,417 – $7,075 per month.
Cuesta College will not sponsor any visa applications.
San Luis Obispo County Community College District (“Cuesta College”) is an equal opportunity employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, medical condition, pregnancy (including pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy or childbirth), age, disability (physical and mental), genetic information, military and veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal and state law in admission and access to, or treatment in employment, educational programs or activities at any of its campuses. Reasonable accommodations will be provided for applicants with disabilities who self-disclose. Cuesta College also prohibits harassment on any of these bases, including sexual harassment, as well as sexual assault, domestic violence, dating violence, and stalking.
In compliance with California law, all prospective staff and students are entitled to read the Annual Security Report, published each October by the Cuesta College Department of Public Safety. This report contains information about our emergency and crime reporting procedures, as well as crime statistics for the past 3 years. You may request a copy of this report at one of our two Public Safety Offices: on SLO campus at Building 6600A or on North County Campus at building N1021, during campus business hours. You may also access the complete text of this report at the following website address:
Cuesta College uses E-Verify as part of the I-9 process to verify the work eligibility of all new hires. E-Verify is an Internet-based system that compares information from an employee’s Form I-9 to data from U.S Department of Homeland Security and Social Security Administration records. For further information, visit:
Interview Process Information
Selected applicants will be invited to attend a Zoom interview and skills test on Thursday, May 4, 2023.
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link:
The San Luis Obispo County Community College District promotes inclusiveness, prohibits discrimination, and encourages all qualified persons to apply. As an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer, Cuesta College actively seeks candidates with diverse backgrounds to assist students, staff, and faculty. For ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) assistance with the application and/or interview process, please contact the Human Resources Office: (805) 546-3129.
Copyright ©2022 Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency